Virus Recovery - Error Codes 0x80070424 and 0x80070005

My computer was infected by a virus which I located and removed with Microsoft Security Essentials, however it left me with a couple errors.  When I try to turn on the Windows Firewall I get Error code 0x80070424.  When I try turning on Windows Security Center I get an error that "The Windows Security Center service can't be started".  Finally, while attempting to one of the fixes for the first issue I get error code 0x80070005.  Please help!

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2018 Views 14,006 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
  I broke down and called Microsoft expecting to pay for support, and to my great amazement they helped me out without charge!  Via chat session they updated my registry (four different files) and resolved all my issues, now my Action Center and Windows Firewall are online.  I kept McAfee installed as well, hopefully I can avoid going through this again.  Answer Desk was of great help to me!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

There are other reports on the forums about a fake antivirus program (Win 7 Security) disabling fIrewalls, Security Center and Windows Defender.

Suggest you obtain assistance from MS Support:

If you are using Microsoft Security Essentials, you can get free help with malware removal here: https://support.microsoftsecurityessentials.com/   Then select “I think my computer is infected”.   From there, select the email or phone option.   You can also use the following link: http://supportservices.microsoft.com/support/services/virus_essentials

If you are in North America, you can call MS Support at 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. 

For international information see your local subsidiary support site.

Regards...

MVP Consumer Security 2014-2016
Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.