User accounts profile randomly lost in windows 7

I have multiple user accounts in windows 7.  All users use the account throughout the day. At least every other day I get one of the account profiles lost. The user logs on and gets this popup message:

Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile.

That user will not be able to log into his profile until I go into the registry as an administrator and change the ProfileList. Here is what I need to do:

1. Using regedit Navigate to:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\
  2. Find the GUID folder that is the profile. (there is a duplicate folder with a .bak appended)
  3. Delete the profile and rename the old profile by removing the .bak.
  4. Reboot the PC and the user profile works again.

I have to do this quite often and it’s not just one user account. It’s even happened to the administrator account and I know the users couldn’t have messed with that account.

I would appreciate any help.  If I can’t find a solution I am going to create a service to run to look for the .bak and remove it. But I don’t like putting a Band-Aid on a bug.

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2018 Views 29,082 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having the same problem, however I only have 2 user accounts; std and admin.

When I log off one account and go to the other I get the temporary profile. It never used to happen, but it happens all the time now.  I have not experienced the problem when I switch between user accounts (just if I log off one and try to go to the other).

I have not touched the registry to try to overcome the problem. Restarting resets the system and I can then log on to either of my accounts, however this is not very convenient.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, if the user restarts most of the time it fixes the problem, but only if there are no other corrupted accounts.  If I have multiple users that have the .bak issue the only way I have been able to resolve it is to fix it in the registry.

I did tell all the users to make sure they log off when they leave the computer and not even use the switch user feature and it has helped, but it's still there.

Sorry this didn't help.

I recommend running a hard drive diagnostic or chkdsk /r
It's a long shot, but I have seen drive problems cause repeated profile corruption in a few cases.
"jmhayden" wrote in message news:77a4ba50-b77a-4d89-8924-c28a6f11daa0...

I have multiple user accounts in windows 7.  All users use the account throughout the day. At least every other day I get one of the account profiles lost. The user logs on and gets this popup message:

Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile.

That user will not be able to log into his profile until I go into the registry as an administrator and change the ProfileList. Here is what I need to do:

1. Using regedit Navigate to:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\
  2. Find the GUID folder that is the profile. (there is a duplicate folder with a .bak appended)
  3. Delete the profile and rename the old profile by removing the ..bak.

I have to do this quite often and it’s not just one user account. It’s even happened to the administrator account and I know the users couldn’t have messed with that account.

I would appreciate any help.  If I can’t find a solution I am going to create a service to run to look for the .bak and remove it. But I don’t like putting a Band-Aid on a bug.

Technician / Consultant

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish that was the case.  That would be an easy fix.  This is happening on 3 different computers now and each one has all new hardware. The only PCs this doesn't happen on are ones I don't have multiple accounts.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was wondering if this had anything to do with Standby Mode.  I always put my system into standby mode at the end of the day and on returning to wake status I log onto whatever account I need for that day.  I found that Standby Mode created a problem with receiving automated updates for MSE in the past (not sure if that problems ever got addressed).  Just a thought as a shutdown restores everything to as it should be. 

I know I do not have a disk problem as my PC is only a few months old. PC doctor found no problems. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have multiple user accounts in windows 7.  All users use the account throughout the day.  At least every other day I get one of the account profiles lost.  The user logs on and gets this popup message:

That user will not be able to log into his profile until I go into the registry as an administrator and change the ProfileList.  Here is what I need to do:

3. Delete the profile and rename the old profile by removing the .bak.

I have to do this quite often and it’s not just one user account.  It’s even happened to the administrator account and I know the users couldn’t have messed with that account.

I would appreciate any help.  If I can’t find a solution I am going to create a service to run to look for the .bak and remove it.  But I don’t like putting a Band-Aid on a bug.

I have the same problem although the registry fix does not work for me.  I have been looking for a solution for over a week. 

Also my restore points have disappeared.

I can not even correctly backup my data because of MS copies path lenght limitations and Robocopy has not worked either. Why doe MS release these alpaha OS's and then as soon as it is stable release another alpha?

Help with the profile to start would be appreciated.

Thanks -- Joe

Sorry this didn't help.

Has Microsoft come up with anything to fix this yet?  I just bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it 7 weeks ago and this problem has happened to me 3 times now.  The last 2 were two days in a row.  I'm the only user on the machine.  I can get my profile restored by creating another user, logging it to that user and then logging in to my original user.  I really don't want to have to do this all the time.

Sorry this didn't help.

I suggest using Ubuntu either live or as a dual boot operating system. It won't be long before Ubuntu gets much more viable that Microsoft. At least the Ubuntu people do not work hand in hand with the globalist like MS does.

Sorry this didn't help.

Take a look at the following it may help you resolve the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940453

or

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/732ccc2c-3fd9-4b46-ac09-2e99ae316a41

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a user that experienced this same thing last night. She went to send an email and suddenly had no internet connection. She verified her connection was up so she rebooted. When she tried to log in, the profile was gone...all of her files are gone!

Sorry this didn't help.