Terminology Administrator User/built-in administrator accounts

I am very confused by the Security Menus on Properties on Windows 7 and the relationship between User Accounts and the User Folders in Windows C Drive (I am using Windows 7 Home Premium on a Mesh Computer). All the accounts mentioned, except the Guest Account which is not enabled, are or were, password protected.

I cannot tell whether the menu is referring to the Admin Account set up as a normal user account with admin privileges or to the built-in administrator account - or to a GROUP of some kind to which these accounts belong. 

My admin user account is entitled "M......-.PC Administrator" - no quotes -  but on the Security Menus (for example under Windows C: Properties) I see Administrators (M....- PC \Administrators)  - notice now in the plural. M.......is my first name. Is this a GROUP name to which the Admin User Account and/or  the built-in Admin account belong or not ? On my DATA M file (which contains most of my personal files and records) I have in addition  "Users (M....-PC Users)"

My User Folder does not seem to bear any relation to the User Accounts listed on Control Panel (see below).  In my efforts to sort out access to various folders, I discovered that somehow (probably result of too many System Restores) I had acquired a User Account M.........  which did not appear on the Control Panel List - however the files in this folder seem to behave as though they are part of the M.....-PC Admin account.  They don`t all appear in M......-PC and some can only be accessed in M...........folder when logged in as M.....-PC Administrator.  I tried to get rid of the plain M.........  User Folder without success (transferring its documents etc. to M..........-PC etc. but temporarily lost my desk top folder in the process). I also tried setting up 2 additional ACCOUNTS with admin privileges called BB and Ge, with a view to deleting M.......... and M.-PC (after transferring folders and contents to BB) but this did not work either so I deleted  BB and Ge from Control Panel User Accounts.   I set up a Standard User Account (called G......... M....) which works fairly well though I have had difficulty accessing some folders when logged in as Standard User - get error message Windows cannot write to this file. For example, I cannot access my Moneysoft Programmes without logging in as M.....-PC Administrator.

Today my User FOLDER looks like this: (my User Accounts show only M..-PC Administrator and G....M....Standard User)

All Users

BB.........

Default User

Ge

G.............. M............

M..........

M..........Administrator

M.........-PC

Public

They all contain a lot of folders -  Ge.....was an admin account set up to enable transferring files from M...-PC and M..... to BB.

If this had been successful I would have deleted M........... and M-PC Admin but in the event it turned out to be too risky. I was in danger of losing records I need.

Both BB and Ge..... have been REMOVED from User Accounts but the folders remain.  I am uncertain whether I can just delete these folders. 

My questions are:

a) What are the Default and Default Users folders for - do I need to concern myself with them ?

b) What is the Public Folder for - do I need to concern myself with this ?

c) Can I simply delete the BB  and  Ge........ User Folders ?

d) How can I determine whether accounts mentioned under Properties/Security are a GROUP of accounts, or a single built-in admin account or a single user admin account.  If it is a GROUP of accounts, how can I establish which single accounts are included.

e) Is there any way I can sort this mess out without re-installing Windows 7.

f) If I re-install Windows 7 and want to keep some of the Documents and Downloads presently under M........User Folder and M.-PC Administrator User Folder would I simply transfer the problem with them ?

What are the Default and Default Users folders for - do I need to concern myself with them ?

-> They are template folders. You should leave them alone.

What is the Public Folder for - do I need to concern myself with this ?

-> This folder contains shortcuts that are visible to all accounts. Leave it alone.

Can I simply delete the BB  and  Ge........ User Folders ?

-> You deleted the accounts but not not data belonging to these accounts. If these folders contain no useful data then you can delete them.

d) How can I determine whether accounts mentioned under Properties/Security are a GROUP of accounts?

-> Open a Command Prompt (cmd.exe), then type this command to see the security groups:

net localgroup

-> To see the members of a group, use this command:

net localgroup administrators

e) Is there any way I can sort this mess out without re-installing Windows 7.

-> Yes. Delete unwanted accounts. Erase stale profile folders.

f) If I re-install Windows 7 and want to keep some of the Documents and Downloads presently under M........User Folder and M.-PC Administrator User Folder would I simply transfer the problem with them 

-> Re-installing Windows would be equivalent to buying a new car when you run out of petrol. Highly effective, very inefficient.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for late reply. I was the one ticking helpful !

I have successfully got rid of 2 of the Admin Accounts but am still struggling to delete M........... (plain M........)

I am sorry this is so difficult to read.  I have substituted plain M for M..........  Trust this is helpful.

The word plain does not appear anywhere on menus.

I cannot easily determine which of the files in User Plain M I need to keep because Windows has been putting some application files - even possibly some System - files into plain M instead of into M...-PC.  Quite a few are duplicates.

I am going slowly through all of them, deleting any already duplicated in M....-PC and copying any others on to a USB Flash Drive before deleting from plain M so I can reverse the deletion if necessary.  Meanwhile the computer seems to be functioning ok.

When I first started this I had deleted one file which resulted in inability to access normal.dotm files so I could not open Word. I found a way round this on the web (renamed normal.dotm to normal.dot) which got rid of the problem. But it has made me ultra cautious.

Some folders and files in plain M cannot be deleted without permission from M.-PC (M-PC/plain M)  so I am leaving those on one side for now. 

plain M........./Properties/Security menu (on first opening Security Tab)  has:

SYSTEM - Full control

M...........-PC (M..........-PC\Administrators) - Full control

Users (M.......-PC\Users) - only Read Execute,   List Folder    and  Read

no permissions are inherited - all apply to this folder and subfolders and files.         

I had Everyone - with traverse permissions but removed  3 1 17 at 18.00 hours as from my (little) understanding of Traverse I thought it might be causing the problem.

OWNER

Owner is  Administrators ( M........-PC\Administrators )

On Computer Properties, Computer Description is  plain M`s Computer

Computer Name and Full Computer Name are both listed as M..-PC

I tried changing the ownership to plain M i.e. to M...........-PC\(M.....-PC\plain M) but it did not appear to make any difference so I changed it back.

I would be exceedingly grateful if you can offer any more helpful advice on this.  Meanwhile I will continue deleting what I can.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, this sounds far too confusing to me. You need a computer-savvy friend to sit in front of the PC with you and go through the various items one by one, explaining things as he goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks anyway.  It is a giant mess I know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For anyone else in this sort of mess, I did finally solve it with a lot of help from all sorts of sources.

Firstly, I found that my computer battery was at fault. Once I changed that, things became a lot easier to sort.

Secondly, I think that when I first tried to delete the Administrator Account, I did not get sufficiently clear in my head what the relationship between the new accounts and the old corrupt ones was. I was trying to keep one of the dodgy accounts which was a mistake.  In the end, I created 2 completely new Admin Accounts and finally took the plunge, backed up all the data I wanted to one of them and used the other one to delete the 2 corrupt folders and the corrupt User Account.  Since then I have deleted one of the new accounts and now have a working Admin Account and a Standard User both with passwords.  I have not named any of them with my computer name.  I think that caused a lot of confusion.

I am very grateful to the forum for allowing me to ramble through my problems - having a sounding board helps you to look back and see where you are going wrong.  I really appreciate the blow by blow answers to my queries from

Frederick Long.  You deserve a medal for your patient untangling of my original queries !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2018 Views 81 Applies to: