Setting password expiration time off

Since this all started with my wife's account asking for a new password on logon, I'll start there.

We don't want the passwords on our home computers to expire. In fact, since it is a desktop and doesn't leave her desk, we don't want a password on it at all. There is no need for it.  Last night she clicked on her user icon and Windows 7 prompted her to change her non-existent password. Since I upgraded her machine from Windows XP Pro to Win 7 Home Ultimate (Family pack), I got to fix it.

I figured out that I could simply click and windows would accept another null password, but I thought it best to turn off the password expiry interval. Lo and behold I could not find anywhere in user accounts to set the password expiration interval. Help of course was not helpful (ince Office 2007, all MS help is pretty useless IMHO).

Also I could not find a group policy editor.

Looking around led me to believe that the Group Policy Editor is not included in Windows Home Ultimate? Is this correct? I could not find in any of the comparison charts mention of this limitation on Windows Home Ultimate. Now I'm wondering what other bits and pieces are NOT included in Home Ultimate?
Answer
Answer
Start Orb>Search box>cmd
When cmd appears in Results above, right-click and choose "Run as administrator"

Stop the Password Expiration - at the command prompt type:

net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited [enter]

You will get a message box: “The command completed successfully” and then you can close the command prompt.

User accounts - Recommended Setup (Vista and Win7 )

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP and all other modern operating systems, Vista and Windows 7 are multi-user operating systems with built-in system accounts such as Administrator, Default, All Users, and Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating system structure.

You particularly don't want only one user account with administrative privileges on Vista and Windows 7 because the built-in Administrator account (normally only used in emergencies) is disabled by default. If you're running as Administrator for your daily work and that account gets corrupted, things will be Difficult. It isn't impossible to activate the built-in Administrator to rescue things, but it will require third-party tools and working outside the operating system.

The user account that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with the extra administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech" or the like) only there for elevation purposes. Running as a Standard user is best practice for security purposes and will help protect your computer from infection. After you create "CompAdmin", log into it and change your regular user account to Standard. Then log back into your regular account.

If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with the icons of user accounts, you can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2020 Views 30,606 Applies to: