Q: Schannel error ID 36874 and 36888 ? This thread is locked from future replies

Each time I visit a specific website, I find a lot of errors in the system event log. These errors come by pairs, 36874 then 36888, exactly as if every part of the web pages was generating a pair of errors.

More details about the errors:

Event ID 36874
An SSL 3.0 connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The SSL connection request has failed.

Event ID 36888
The following fatal alert was generated: 40. The internal error state is 107.

My fist question is: Can I use this site safely ignoring errors, or is there a problem with the security?

Can anyone tell me what these Schannel errors mean?

About a work around, I found another topic in this forum just before posting. Ok, I’ll try to change TLS and SSL settings, but why? Finding a solution for ONE site instead of IE11 default settings, is this a good solution?

I’m using Internet Explorer 11. My OS is Win 7 PRO 64 bits. I also have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 installed (as other users of this forum did ask for firewalls and so)

There is a good explanation of this at

The event IDs are not related to SCOM but to TLS 1.2.

Fortunately Microsoft has just re-leased an update fix for this problem kb2975719 and kb2975331 depending on OS.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

63 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 79,670 Last updated: March 21, 2018 Applies to: