On Windows 7, How can I get more flexibility with Windows Firewall?

Here's the situation. 

I use one laptop for work and home. To keep thing distinct, I use two different accounts: one that logs into the work domain and one that logs into just the computer.

The account that logs into the local computer has administrator privileges. Yet, when I go to configure the firewall at home I get the message "For your security, some settings are managed by your system administrator." I am unable to turn the firewall on or off, let alone configure specific programs or protocols.
It is worth noting that even logging into the computer with the account named Administrator the same issue occurs. 

Leaving the domain and then restarting allows me all access to the controls of Windows Firewall (at least, all the ones I have tried), though the message remains. The problem with this is I have to go through the process of rejoining the domain when I go back to work.

What I would like to be able to do is log into the domain with the work account, and when at home, log into the local computer and have complete administrator rights (as a side note, I have also noticed some file restrictions I haven't been able to get past, but that is secondary). What can I do to reach this goal?
Answer
Answer
The short answer is yes, it can be done....but...I know that if I had that request made of me, my answer would be no because it's a company owned machine. Unless it was a big boss of course, but even then I'd probably push back.

Hope this helps.
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2018 Views 145 Applies to: