Need to change default domain/user for logon prompt in Win 7 and Vista....

I need to be able to change the default domain\user logon prompt. IT team members where I work need to be able to log in to a users PC perform a matenance routine, repair, or security audit etc and then reset the "last loggon" to the user. This enables IT to be able to mask our having been in their computer, a very important tool when doing security checks and looking for signs of inapropriate  computer use etc.

In Windows XP we could use the following Reg hack to reset the default log on prompt to the user and domain we need.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="username"
"DefaultDomainName"="DomainName"
"CachePrimaryDomain"="DomainName"

These settings are in the Win 7 reg, but they don't seem to do anything.

What do I need to do to make these settings rule and gain control over the log on prompt?

Thanks,

Ralph Malph

PS...IMHO News groups were better.....

Answer
Answer
And now several years latter is the answer to my question... Where it should be in the group I asked it in.

I have found the following .bat file will let you set the user name for the next log in in Windows 7. (Copy the next lines of text in to a text file and give it .bat extension, then run it as a local administrator.)

***** Start of .bat code for changing the default log in name for the next log in in Win 7 *******

rem echo off

call reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI" /v LastLoggedOnSAMUser /t REG_SZ /d "Domain\Username" /f

call reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI" /v LastLoggedOnUser /t REG_SZ /d "Domain\Username" /f

pause

***** End of code for Win 7 log in name *******

For Windows XP the following .reg file can do the trick..... Do same as above but use .reg extension...

****** Start of .REG code for changing the default user name for next log in in Win XP *****

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="username"
"DefaultDomainName"="Domain Name"
"CachePrimaryDomain"="Domain Name"

******** End of .reg code for Win XP log in name ******

Hope this helps,

Ralph

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2019 Views 5,948 Applies to: