Microsoft Technical Support Scam

I was contacted by someone claiming to call from Microsoft alerting me to errors occuring on my computer.  I was stupidly taken in and gave them the id number from the software so that they could remove the problem. I am now worried that this will allow them access to my computer and possibly to information like banking details etc. Is this possible?  He removed the icons from the screen, made the screen go blank and told me he had wiped it clean and I wouldn't be able to use it, unless I allowed him to put some software on and pay him £35.  I switched off the computer at this point.  Has giving them the id no. made me vulnerable?

Thanks 

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2018 Views 39,222 Applies to:
Answer

I was contacted by someone claiming to call from Microsoft alerting me to errors occuring on my computer.  I was stupidly taken in and gave them the id number from the software so that they could remove the problem. I am now worried that this will allow them access to my computer and possibly to information like banking details etc. Is this possible?  He removed the icons from the screen, made the screen go blank and told me he had wiped it clean and I wouldn't be able to use it, unless I allowed him to put some software on and pay him £35.  I switched off the computer at this point.  Has giving them the id no. made me vulnerable?

Thanks 

As you now realize, this was not Microsoft, but was a scam, and one that's becoming more and more common lately.

But
 worse, if you let them into your computer, who knows what damage they did there or what confidential information they stole. So if you did. I highly recommend that you do both of the following immediately:

1. Do a clean reinstallation of Windows.

2. Change all of your passwords, especially any for banks or other financial sites.

153 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.