Measures against EternalBlue: Am I running SMB? Do I have the right patch?

Based on the ransomware news of late, I am motivated to (1) check if SMB is running on my laptop and (2) confirm that I have the right patch.  Full disclosure: I only started googling SMB today, motivated by the ransomware problem.

For item (1), my laptop is the only computer on my WiFi LAN, and I don't recall explicitly enabling SMB, but that doesn't mean it's not running.  My smartphone connects to a Microsoft Exchange Server emulator (Akrutosync) over my WiFi, but I don't know if the protocol has anything to do with SMB (probably not?).  How can I check whether SMB is enabled?

For item (2) (which is what caused me to google SMB), I found https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx.  I then searched for how to check which updates I have.  I'm up-to-date, but still wanted to check for the presence of the specific patch from the past.  However, none of the patches listed show up using codes that resemble the "MS17-010" format in the above link.  They are all listed by KB code, not the  4013389 in the above link.  How do I go about checking for the patch?

Finally, even though this is not one of the two questions that I list above, is there a known vector by which the compromise can propagate to machine even if I have the patch?  Would the answer be the same using my home WiFi vs. a public WiFi network, e.g., at a cafe, airport, hotel, or even a private WiFi network at a friend or relative's home?  Note that I designate all WiFi networks as "Public", including the one at home.

Thanks.

You are protected against Eternal Blue with the March Security Rollup installed.

You have the March Security Rollup installed if either the March Security Only Rollup or the March or later stepping of the Security Monthly Quality Rollup is installed. Translated to Windows 7 related KB numbers you're safe with any of

KB4012212

KB4012215

KB4012218

KB4015549

KB4015552

KB4019264

installed - preferably the current version of the Monthly Rollup, KB4019264.

Regards, VZ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, VZ.

For those who might be intending to check, I found it very difficult to do so because of the inability to filter the entries or sort by KB under either of the following two panels:

"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history"

"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Featuers\Installed Updates"

My KB4019264 was installed on 2017-05-10, and had the name "Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4019264).  In the Installed Update panel above, the entries are grouped (even when sorted by name), and KB4019264 appears in the group "Microsoft Windows".

This partially answers my questions, and I thank respondents in advance for chiming in about the remaining questions in my original post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

VZ,

Thanks for this info.  I too have this Cumulative update failed to install issue and none of those you list are on my Update list, successful or failed.

The following: 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4019472) is the latest to fail to install, it has been attempting to install since  05/04/2017.  Previous KB4015438 also failed to install. 

Last successful install of Cumulative Update was KB4015217 on 04/12/2017

I have tried to force retry install and continue to get same Failed to Install.  Microsoft says they released a patch on Friday for this Wanna Cry / Eternal Blue ransomware but when I go onto website, I cannot locate it anywhere.

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated.  Have a great day.

Leah

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For those who might be intending to check, I found it very difficult to do so because of the inability to filter the entries or sort by KB under either of the following two panels:

"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\View update history"

"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Featuers\Installed Updates"

When viewing Installed Updates, you can use the Search box in the upper right corner to look for a KB number.

Further, in the View menu, the default appears to be Group by > Program.  If you change that to Group by > (none) you can then sort by date to find the most recently installed updates.  You can also sort by name.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, LemP.  I've grown so use to disregarding that search box because of its unpredictable behaviour in recursive file searches that I totally overlooked it as a filter for updates.  The Group-By-none helps too, but since I didn't know the date of the update, the KB filtering helps the most.

Leah, I hope someone can respond with a helpful comment.  Not sure if it would help to run Microsoft Security Essential and update from there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2019 Views 1,909 Applies to: