Malware persisted through restore, what can I do?

Original title: I've Had It! Help Regarding Likely Malware

Sorry but this question is a combonation of security, installation, and repair but since the root of the problem is probably malware, I decided this was the forum to post it in.

I was having issues with possible malware and returned my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop to factory settings. Rather than go through my previous thread details, please read this post for the history.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/7b11afcb-dc8d-48d2-9ab9-c0c870dd33a5

I performed all of the steps given to me to clean any possible malware prior to restoring it and I am still having the exact same issues. Long story/question, short; I believe what I want to do now is reformat my hard drive and install windows 7 ultimate (not upgrade, install the full OS DVD version) for the extra Bitlocker protection, etc. I am aware that there are some forms of malware that can survive this process but am at my witt's end and the cost is less than replacing my laptop. I saw a thread recently by another user who was wiping C drive and reinstalling due to malware, so I can get a hold of the necessary instructions, and have just a couple of questions.

If malware is the cause of my OS troubles, is this my most effective option?

If all goes well, and I manage to screw it up AGAIN, I am assuming the full version is completely reinstallable (OK. Stupid question. Just covering all my bases here.)?

Any help is truly appretiated. I've had it! Thanks.

Julie

Answer
Answer

if you were sure this is a malware do this:

open taskmgr and go to processes and check if there is an open application process without description

for example:

Processes Names:                  Description:

explorer.exe                          Windows Explorer

svchost.exe                            Generic Host Process

firefox.exe                             Mozilla Firefox

iexplore.exe                           Internet Explorer

msblast.exe                           msblast.exe

so msblast.exe is a malware

step 2:

end the malware process but first open the malware file location with taskmgr

step 3:

delete that file

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
A destructive restore (factory reset) would have formatted and re-installed the OS. It is highly unlikely (99%) that any malware would have survived the process.

Yes, by all means buy a full version and do a clean install, but if you still have problems after that, malware is not the cause. And yes, you can re-install and re-activate if you have issues in the future.

So what problems do you have?

A note about Bitlocker. It is really important to srtore the access credentials somewhere safe, a location you will remember which could be anywhere except on the Bitlockered computer or any external storage device which relies upon it. Without the credentials, you will be way more than bitlockered.. :D

<CR> -- Mike Hall MVP Windows Expert: Consumers http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
Mike Hall MVP - Windows Expert: Consumers http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2018 Views 588 Applies to: