Logon failure : account currently disabled

I had a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo as a Christmas present and having installed it on the house network, find I am unable to access the NAS with 2 of the 5 machines in the house. I am the administrator of both these machines and of the NAS itself.

The NAS is visible in the file manager network section of all the machines but an attempt to access it on the two affected machines produces a windows popup as follows:

\\NETGEAR-NAS is not available. You might not have permission to use this resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure : account currently disabled”.

Machines are as follows:

1)     Cannot access – Desktop 32 bit Windows 7 home premium upgraded from Windows Vista on hardwired LAN

2)     Cannot access – Desktop 32 bit Windows 7 home premium upgraded from Windows XP on hardwired LAN

3)     Full access – Laptop 64 bit Windows 7 home premium original premium original build on either hardwired or wireless LAN

4)     Full access – Laptop 64 bit Windows 7 home premium original premium original build on wireless LAN

5)     Full access –Desktop 32 bit Windows XP original build upgraded to SP3 on wireless LAN

LAN is controlled by a Belkin 5FD8635-4 wireless modem router which is also the DCHP server. Ready NAS has an assigned static IP address.

1, 2 & 3 are running Macafee Total Protection but this seems not to be the issue – test total uninstall on machine 1 did not resolve the problem and machine 3 has worked with Macafee running from installation of the NAS without any problem.

I suspect from reading various web postings that it is something to do with confusion of windows 7 permissions associated with the upgrades to windows 7 on machines 1 & 2.  Any suggestions about how to crack this one would be appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

Answer
Answer

Michael, after about 2 weeks of experimentation, I have hit on something which works for me.

The 2 affected machines are called 'MUM-PC' and 'DAD-PC'. They are running as previously described on a network where the NAS is present as'Netgear-NAS'. Both are running Macafee internet security.

I established a windows credential for the NAS on each machine as follows::

1. Go to control panel in the large icon view (I find this easier to identify where things are) and fire up the'credential manager'
  2. In the windows credential section of this, click add a credential and for MUM-PC, I added the following in the entry fields
  3. In the 'internet or network address', typed '\\Netgear-NAS'
  4. In the 'user name' typed 'MUM-PC'
  5. In the 'Password field' - left blank
  6. Repeated the process with the correct computer name for 'DAD-PC'

I now have access from both computers to the root directory and the shares on the NAS. So far so good. I will see how it goes over the next few days.

Previous to the credentials thing, I had set all the firewall networking rules to enabled but this didnt work. I dont know whether this is an essential prelude to the credentials thing. At the moment, having got the thing working, I dont propose to meddle to find out.

The laptop on which I am typing this which has worked from the word go with the NAS interestingly doesnt seem to need such a credential. One of the great mysteries of windows 7 security policies!

Best of luck - would be interested to know how you got on.

Peter M

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2023 Views 42,859 Applies to: