How to disable VirtualStore in Windows 7?

Don't tell me why I should leave it on or what it does. I know what it does. It prevents my application from working properly. The application needs to be able to read/write from the files in their REAL location, not from their virtual store location. Disabling UAC on Vista kills it, but in 7 it does not. How do I turn off this [s]bug[/s] AWFUL feature?

The application is shared on the network and having the hosting machine on windows 7 means that the host cannot actually run the application because it will not be working out of "live" data.

<sarcasm>Thank you microsoft, again, you know exactly what the program/user wants to do better than themselves.</sarcasam> >:(

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2018 Views 160,742 Applies to:
Answer
Did you read my post? I explained why this is bad. Either way, I've found a way to disable it. It is not a feature, it is a bug. It doesn't help compatiblity, it destroys it.

Your response is not an answer, I have no idea why it was marked as such, it is exactly the response I asked no one give me in my post.

The way to disable UAC in 7 is to turn off UAC, take ownership of the desired folder and give desired users full control of it.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

The way to disable it in vista and 7 (which doesn't require you to disable UAC in vista) is to use TAKE OWNERSHIP (google this and get the reg file to add it to your right click menu) to take ownership of the folder. Then give all desired users full access to the folder, windows will stop duplicating into and working out of virtual store.

No thanks to all the users that came in and told me that I didn't know what I was doing/ didn't understand the feature (BUG) / shouldn't disable it.

I am posting the answer to help those who agree with me that virtual store is non-sense. And that this move to a computing appliance rather than a computer is also ridiculous. I want an operating system, not a computing appliance. If I wanted a computing appliance I would buy a mac.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.