Question

Q: How do I get back the administrator privileges for the user account?

Original title : Lost Administrator privileges on home computer. How ca I get them back?

I am the sole user of my home computer, using Windows 7 professional. When turning on the computer, the welcome screen always offered both my administrator and normal user accounts, and waited for a response before continuing. Seldom needing to log on as administrator, and having to return to the computer just to press a button before it continued its lengthy initialization was frustrating. Wanting to remove the user log on option I did this via the control panel [not sure how, now!] so now I can switch on and leave it to boot in its own good time without further interaction from me, which is great.

What is not great is that I've lost all administrator privileges, so any time the UAC box comes up asking if I want to continue with the programme  and I need to answer YES, it won't let me do so as the yes box is greyed out.

From the control panel computer management, I can get to local users where I can see that my fallback administrator account is disabled. If I click the tick box to enable the account again, access is denied, so I can't turn the account back on again.

Please HELP!  I really would like my administrator account back again, without having to deselect it every time.

Thanks for your expertise in advance.

Dave

Answer

A:

However, from the command prompt I was able to recover the administrator account by typing 'net user administrator /active:yes', and the command completed successfully. 

Can you please advise how to make it start up automatically in the User account, so that only if I need to use admin privileges I could log off and change to that account.

I do know that I must make myself a recovery disk as soon as this is sorted!!
If you were able to activate the Administrator account by any means such as the Command Prompt then your current account must have had admin privileges. Standard accounts cannot do this, regardless of the method you use. The Command Prompt does not give you any special privileges.

I wonder why you keep deferring the creation of a Repair CD. It would do this immediately . . .

To automate the logon process you can do this
1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard.
2. Type this command and press Enter:
   netplwiz
3. Tick the box that requires users to enter a password.
4. Single-click your account name.
5. Untick the box that requires users to enter a password.
6. Click OK.
7. Enter your password when prompted and click OK.
8. Make a note of the process for future reference.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

Here you go:
  1. Set your BIOS so that it uses the DVD drive as its primary boot device.
  2. Boot the machine with your Windows 7 Repair CD.
  3. Press a key when prompted to boot from the DVD.
  4. Select "Repair PC" from the menu.
  5. Select "Repair" when prompted.
  6. Select System Restore when prompted.
  7. Set Windows back to a point before you made the change.
  8. Plan ahead a little and create, test and document a spare admin account, same as you have a spare house key for emergencies. This will save you an enormous amount of trouble.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,857 Last updated: May 8, 2018 Applies to: