How can I block an unknown user from accessing my home network on windows 7?

I discovered a device accessing my network that does not belong there. I can not access it, so I can't really do anything as far as seeing who it is. I thought that it was just someone leeching off my wifi hotspot, but when I turned off the wifi, they didn't disconnect. When I try to access this unknown, my computer tells me that, basically, the device isn't there. How can I put a stop to unwanted guests from accessing my network? I would think that this would not be possible, since the network requires a password in order to access. I have not given the password to anyone except those authorized, and yet, here I have a device belonging to someone named "Griff" attached to my network.

I have already been burned by unauthorized leechers hiding behind my IP and downloading illegal or pirated content. I do not want that headache again. How can I stop this?

Answer
Answer
Here's my take on what was posted. Turning off the SSID broadcasting will only stop casual leechers. #2 won't accomplish anything as it's someone connecting to your network.#3 is a given....you need to change your password and #4 is probably your best bet, but I would change it so that only mac addresses you specify can connect to the network.

Hope this helps.
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You want to block an unknown user from accessing home network. I will help you with this issue.

Please refer to this article and check if that helps.

Prevent Your Router From Broadcasting: When you connect your wireless (Wi-Fi) router, it broadcasts the router name--or SSID--every few seconds to computers within the wireless range. This allows "foreign" computers and other devices (such as mobile phones) to connect to it. This, in turn, reduces the amount of bandwidth available to you. You may disable broadcasting by accessing your router's wireless settings and selecting the "Disabled" function. You may also change your SSID.

Connect To 'Preferred' Networks: When your wireless connection is enabled on your computer, it may automatically attempt to connect to any network in range. You can block your computer from connecting by selecting preferred Wi-Fi connections. To complete the process, you merely need to access your computer's "Control Panel," browse to your "Wireless Network Properties" and remove networks that you do not wish to connect to.

Encrypt Your Connection: If you host a Wi-Fi network, you may block others from connecting to your network by creating an encrypted password. To encrypt the connection, access the router's wireless security settings and enables the connection titled "WPA-2," "WPA2 Personal" or "WPA2 Enterprise." You will need to have the encrypted password handy to access your network on each computer that you wish to connect to the network.

Block a Specific Computer: If you know the MAC (media access control) address of a user, you may enter it into your computer and block them from accessing your Wi-Fi connection. You can choose whether to allow only certain MAC addresses, or you can block specific MAC addresses. Access your router's wireless MAC settings to enable or disable the filter and choose between "Permit Only" or "Prevent" options.

Hope this helps.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2024 Views 15,886 Applies to: