Question

Q: Homegroup icon randomly appeared on my desktop - virus?

I logged into my laptop not long ago and noticed that there was an icon named 'Homegroup' sitting on my desktop out of the blue. I also noticed that it took longer than usual for all the icons on my desktop to appear. I haven't downloaded anything for any icon to appear on my desktop. The icon is a green ball surrounded by 3 smaller blue balls swirling around it. I can't move the icon around my desktop, can't delete and can't move it to the Recycle Bin. When I right click on it, I get a menu that reads:

Open
Change Homegroup settings
View the Homegroup password
Start the Homegroup troubleshooter
Share with devices
Create shortcut

No option to delete or anything. I've never seen the icon before so curious as to how it appeared and whether it's potentially dangerous.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Answer

A:

Hi,

No, it's not dangerous at all. Homegroup is a feature in Windows 7 for PCs running Windows 7 on the same home network. It allows them to share files, printers, and other devices.

For more information, see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/homegroup

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

74 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

OK, thanks for your reply. Strangely, I just now restarted Windows and the icon magically disappeared. As I mentioned before, I couldn't delete it so don't know how it removed itself from my desktop.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

55 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 40,443 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: