Fake, scam phone calls saying my computer is infected

I had two phone calls this morning (first one a hang up), the number that came up on the ID call showed "00-1108" and "00-1305".  Guy with an Indian accent said he was phoning from Microsoft in California (I am in South Africa), and that my computer was infected!  He knew my full name and quoted my landline number that he had called me on!  He wanted me to switch on my computer and go through some process.  I told him to take a hike, and that he was a scammer and that computer is perfect - which it is.  How do these people get hold of this personal info of one?  He got very aggressive when I told him I was not turning on my computer because I knew it was fine, and I then threw the phone down on him - needless to say he did not call back.
|
Answer
Answer

You did the right thing, its a scam.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/securitytipstalk/archive/2010/03/09/don-t-fall-for-phony-phone-tech-support.aspx

How they get hold of the info its not usually possible to say. Could be "social engineering" but it could be something as simple as looking in a phone book.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 16, 2019 Views 16,351 Applies to: