Error - Unable to make changes to parental control settings. If this problem persists, see your system administrator, when trying to set parental conrols

Unable to make changes to parental control settings

Greetings.  I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I am logged in as the Administrator in my PC.  There are two other accounts in this PC (both Standard User accounts, and both monitored by Windows Live Family Safety). 

The only parental control that Windows 7 will let me set for them is the Time Limits.  When I try to set Game Ratings or Program Limits, I get the error:  "Unable to make changes to parental control settings.  If this problem persists, see your system administrator." 

I tried two other solutions posted on this website:  the one about enabling the Built In Administrator, and the one about running the SFC scan.  Neither fixed the problem. 

Could someone help me on this?  Is there any other information you would need from me?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hello Family Man,

I suggest that you follow the below methods to fix this issue.

Method 1:

Check if you are able to start the Parental Control service.

a.     Click on start and type ‘services.msc’ in the search field.

b.     Open the services panel and locate the Parental Control service’

c.      Right click on the service and click on ‘Start’.

Method 2:

This could happen if the Administrator account is corrupted.

Create a new Administrator account and check if you are able to set Parental Controls from the New Administrator account:

To create a new user profile, follow these steps:

Note: To create a new profile, you must first create a new user account. When the account is created, a profile will also be created.

a.     Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety and then clicking User Accounts.

b.      Click Manage another account. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c.      Click Create a new account.

d.     Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

Note: Do not give the existing user name for the new user account.

Check out this article that will give you information on ‘How to Fix a corrupted user profile’:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the information, Irfan H.  I tried Method 1, and unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.  I'll try mehtod 2 later today or tomorrow and let you know how things turn out.

Family Man

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, Irfan, I also tried Method 2 this morning, but it didn't work either.  This is frustrating.  I logged on with the new Administrator account.  However, just as was the case with my primary Administrator account, I was able to set Time Limits on the two Standard User accounts, but when I try to set parental controls for either Game Ratings or Program Limits, I keep getting the same error message ("Unable to make changes...").

What should I try next?

Family Man

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Family Man,

Since the issue is related to Family Safety,I suggest that you post your question at the Windows Live Forums for a better response to this issue. This is a dedicated forum for issues related to Windows Family Safety:

http://www.windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=4

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm.  OK, I'll give that a try.  Thanks for your earlier suggestions, Irfan.

Family Man 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2021 Views 5,697 Applies to: