Error logging on as new user - no entry in "ProfileList" registry key

Hi,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1. I have several user accounts, and have never had any trouble creating new accounts previously.

However, I've just created another new account, and when I try to log on using this new account I get the error:

"The User Profile Service service failed the logon".

A google search showed that this is a well-known and well-documented problem, so I started following the steps in KB947215. But I've discovered that there is, in fact, no entry at all in the ProfileList registry key for this user. There are entries for all the other users, but not for new users that I create. I can't seem to find any other reference to this particular problem - everything I've found online assumes that there is a faulty registry key that can be fixed, and doesn't deal with the possibility of there being no registry key at all.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

CFI

Question Info

Last updated November 25, 2019 Views 10,921 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Kiran,

Although your suggestions didn't solve the problem, they did provide me with the key to solve it myself - so thanks.

Once I realised that it wasn't just the ProfileList registry key that was missing, but the profile itself, I was able to find this thread. Following advice in that thread, I carried out the following actions, which have resolved the problem:

• Log on as an Administrator
  • Right click on C:\Users\Default, then select Properties
  • On the Security tab, click Advanced
  • On the Owner tab, click Edit, select the Admin user, select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", and Apply
  • On the Permissions tab, Change Permissions, select all of the current user permissions, select "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then Apply

(I did all of this in Safe mode, because there were suggestions on the other thread that this might help... although I don't think it actually made a difference in the end.)

After these steps, everything appears to work fine once more. So it seems that something has updated some of the permissions in C:\Users\Default, and this is the cause of the problem.

Hope that helps someone else resolve the problem.

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.