Error Code 0x80070424 with Windows Firewall, Defender in Windows 7

Tried to allow access for a program in Windows Firewall, it said i needed to change settings to default, so I clicked it, then an error code popped up reading "Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x80070424". The same error code pops up when I try doing anything in Windows Defender.
I cannot find Windows Firewall or Windows Defender in my services list. From researching this problem, I have concluded that I possibly have/had malware or a virus or something that deleted these and possibly other things. I would like help. Thanks
GaryMan

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2018 Views 594,562 Applies to:
Answer

Hi

Make sure that PC is clean(free from zero access rootkit before trying this fixes)

This firewall issue is commonly found on vista and windows 7 (64 BIT OS)

This is symptom for rootkit on 64 bit systems

if you find a folder called system64

C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM64(not the sysWOW64)

and a file called consrv.dll

C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONSRV.DLL

You're infected by zero access rootkit.It is recommended to contact malware removal forums to remove it first and try the fix

Download both the registry files

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/MpsSvc.reg

Base filtering engine

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/BFE.reg

Launch them and click YES when you get a UAC prompt

Restart your PC

Now,open RUN and type

regedit and click ok

go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE

Right click on it-permissions

Click on ADD and type

Everyone and click ok

Now Click on Everyone

Below you have permission for users

Select full control and click ok

Now,open RUN and type

services.msc and click ok

start base filtering engine service and then windows firewall service 

You may also be missing security center and windows defender service

Download

Security center service

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/wscsvc.reg

windows defender

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/7/WinDefend.reg

Launch it and click YES when you get a UAC prompt

Good luck

*Edit*

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk...

105 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

Hello,

I’ve seen this issue on several different fronts, and the majority of those were virus related. The Key to resolving this is to first run a virus scanner to remove the infection. Some viruses such as rootkit viruses are a little more difficult to remove but it can be done. The viruses can leave residuals that can still cause issues, things like the inability to turn on or configure the firewall or other security applications. Once the virus is gone, work to resolve the other issues that they caused.

First thing, Scan for viruses and other malware. If you don’t currently have a virus application, try Microsoft Security Essentials here. There is also a new tool, Windows Defender Offline Beta , you download the tool, burn a CD and then boot from that CD, this tool scans for malware that loads as soon as you start your computer. See What is Windows Defender Offline Beta? to get the download.

If you don’t already have a virus application running, you can install Microsoft Security Essentials

After you scan for and remove any malware, you may still have problems caused by that malware. Here are some links to content that might help with some of those issues.

Error message 0x80070424 when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates

Error code: 0x8007042c "Windows firewall cannot change some of your settings" when you try to turn on your Windows Firewall

Error Code 0x80070422 when you try to enable Windows Firewall

Windows Firewall settings are greyed out

Hope this helps.

LD.

57 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.