Error code 0x80070422 Can't turn on firewall

I just installed the Windows 7 upgrade. Now I have problems with the firewall. It is prompting me that the firewall in not turned on & prompts me to use the recommended settings. When I click on this the message "Windows firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x80070422". I get the same message when trying to turn on Windows Defender. I used Mcafee virus scan plus (with firewall) before with no problems.

Prior to installing the update, I removed Mcafee Virus scan plus & related Mcafee software. After the upgrade & finding that I had no firewall, I reinstalled Mcafee (with firewall). The firewall for this also does not work. It can't recommed a fix.

Question Info

Last updated July 17, 2019 Views 454,579 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I was experiencing the same.

My personal firewall with mcafee, then tried the windows firewall.  Same issue, unable to turn on.  Firewall gave me: 0x80070422 error.

I tried this:

in windows vista, I go to start > typed in services & launched that window that has a mechanical wheel.  I found windows firewall, double clicked.  Selected under the general tab: automatic in the startup type, then it enabled me to select start.

Windows firewall was restored without an error anymore.  I then proceeded to activate the mcaffee, & it worked as well.  I use mcaffee personal firewall.

189 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.