Error 5 Access denied: Windows could not starte the BFE service on local computer

Original Title:

base filtering engine

• had a virus. Despite having Norton...waste of time they are... IMHO
  • lost my base filtering engine (BFE)...got Norton 5013,3 error
  • Managed to reinstall the BFE but,,,get the following error

Windows could not starte the BFE service on local computer

Error 5 Access denied

Anyway from what I can see Norton say you can fix???

Helen

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2018 Views 4,424 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Helen,

Method 1: Run the fixit provided in the following link and check if that helps.
‘Diagnose and fix Windows Firewall service problems automatically’
Method 2: Perform SFC scan and check if the issue persists. To do so, please refer to the following article. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. For more information how to do SFC/ scan, please follow this link:
‘How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7’
Method 3: I would suggest you to run a full system scan using Microsoft Security Scanner to check if the computer is infected with virus.
Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there could be a potential data loss.
Method 4:
Follow the steps in the link and check if the issue occurs:
“Some services do not start in Windows Vista and Windows 7”
Registry Disclaimer:
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click on the link below to follow steps to back up registry:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.