"Error 1058: the service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

original title:  Error 1058

I went to Security Center and tried changing Startup Type to 'Automatic' but once I pressed Start I got "Error 1058: the service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it". 

I did the above after reading Suresh Kumar's reply to users having problems with Window Security Center service not starting. 

I also noticed Windows Defender is off along with my MSE and I'm not sure why it's off...I never disabled it.  However, I used CCleaner to uninstall my original MSE, rebooted and downloaded MSE again...but still get "the Windows Security Center service can't be started". 

Note: my User :Account Control is active BUT Network Access Protection Agent is not...does this matter?

Is there a solution that anyone is aware of for my situation?  Thank you people!!

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2018 Views 27,365 Applies to:
Hello did you run through the support process outlined here:

Microsoft support

If you have not then run through that process and let us know what happens.

Jim
Find more helpful tips here:

http://thecru.crucialcommunity.com

43 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes I had gone through that process before and the taskbar would still show the red X next to flag just seconds after reboot.

I'm still reading forums etc. and won't give up!  Any other suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

After running ccleaner last evening automatic updates became disabled and couldn't be re-enabled. I ran ccleaner again and restored the files removed from the last run and automatic updates were enabled again after rebooting the PC

Sorry this didn't help.

After running ccleaner last evening automatic updates became disabled and couldn't be re-enabled. I ran ccleaner again and restored the files removed from the last run and automatic updates were enabled again after rebooting the PC

This is a correction to my last posting. I did run ccleanner, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot one after the other in that order. Upon rebooting my PC I got the message that automatic updates were disabled and couldn't be re-enabled either automatically or manually. I worked in reverse order starting first with Spybot restoring the items it removed the moving on to SuperAntiSpyware. Restoring the files deleted by SuperAntiSpyware resolved the problem with automatic updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing I would do is run a virus scan with Malware bytes found here download the free one. Update and run full scan then download and run HtimanPro from here,

I hope this helps,

Jim
Find more helpful tips here:

http://thecru.crucialcommunity.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Run the Fix #2 "Windows Security Center Service missing after Malware attack" from here

It resets the Windows Security Center service registry keys to defaults, which resolves this problem.
ex-MVP (2003-2012) (Windows Client)

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.