easy transfer error " can't connect to your domain"

when running easy transfer from a laptop running windows 7 home premium to a desktop running windows 7 professional i get the error stating that my new computer can't connect to your domain.  what is the fix for this in a step by step procedure. if this can't be answered then how about a step by step way of ntransfering the files and settings manually.  thank you for your help on this problem.

Question Info

Last updated September 5, 2018 Views 4,566 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

·         Is your computer running on the domain?

·         Since when are you facing this error?

All user accounts, files, and settings (recommended). Use this option to set up your new computer like your old one. For example, if you've already created user accounts on the new computer, you can match accounts on the old computer to accounts on the new computer (using the same or different names). If you haven't created accounts on the new computer, it doesn't matter, unless the new computer is on a domain. In this case, you should create the domain account on the new computer before you use Windows Easy Transfer. You can transfer accounts from the old computer by creating the accounts, using the same or different names, on the new computer during the transfer process. If you create accounts during the transfer process, you will be asked to create a new password the first time that you log on to the new computer.

You can refer to the link provided below and check if it helps.

Transfer files and settings from another computer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Transfer-files-and-settings-from-another-computer

Hope this helps,

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

when trying to transfer files from my old system running Windows 7 Home Premium to my new system running Windows 7 Professional. I get the error that my new computer is not connected to my domain. i'm using the Easy Transfer program. can someone assist with the steps to do this transfer.

Sorry this didn't help.

at this time the domain name is blank. i'm running both machines at home. they are both connected to the same workgroup. so does my new system still need to be on a domain, and if so where would i get the name for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi TimColeman,

1. When exactly do you get the error? At what stage of the transfer do you get the message?

2. Is the old computer connected to a domain or server network?

Let us know the answers to assist you better.

Sorry this didn't help.

first the old computer is just connected to a home workgroup.

second i get the error after i get all the information on the users that i want to transfer and it asks to continue. i'll try again to try and nail down a more closer point in the process.

Sorry this didn't help.

it happens when i press the transfer button on the new computer then it comes up with the window "windows easy transfer can't log on to your domain account   your new computer might not be connected to the domain" and that is where it stops.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was running Easy Transfer after installation of Win7 Home Premium on laptop that came with preinstalled Win7 Home Basic and got that same message, and got it to work after opening Network and Sharing Center and setting network type from Public Network to Home Network (Home Basic was set to Home Network). But my advice to you is not to bother with Easy Transfer if you have some other backup option, because there isn't undo option of Easy Transfer if unwanted files get transferred, and I got a lot of them - System Restore doesn't work, and I've created restore point right before running Easy Transfer. I'm thinking it may be because those flies have kept their original dates, which are prior to the date of restore point.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Taztaz,

Because this thread was started by another person and because of the threads age, I suggest you follow the link below to start your own thread. 

Asking your own question helps the community help you specifically with your issue. Remember to include all the details (your version of windows, specs of your system, any error codes etc...) that you can when you start your own thread. 

Thanks for Posting to Microsoft Answers Taztaz!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Taztaz,

Because this thread was started by another person and because of the threads age, I suggest you follow the link below to start your own thread. 

Asking your own question helps the community help you specifically with your issue. Remember to include all the details (your version of windows, specs of your system, any error codes etc...) that you can when you start your own thread. 

Thanks for Posting to Microsoft Answers Taztaz!

Well... maybe aged post, but still no answer and your link goes to community with no answer there as well. I have the same problem...  a bit different in a few ways. I have a new Dell with Win8 on it connected to a laptop running Win7 ult. and I have the same error code that comes up as soon as I try to use the easy transfer program... It isn't as easy as would be as expected. Some meaningful attempt to resolve this DOMAIN account issue would be nice.

I have both computers also members of Workgroup.... can see and share files via file manager, but doesn't seem to want to work through the transfer program.  Haven't a clue to as what DOMAIN I am running.. just a small home network (Workgroup) on a wireless setup.

Suggestions would be helpful....

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Community.

Considering the age of the thread, I would have you have create a new thread (also suggested by Robert) of your own by referring to the link-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

This would allow your thread to be exposed to a number of community members who would be willing to share their infinite knowledge.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Sorry this didn't help.