Question

Q: Can't turn on windows 7 firewall

I just got a new Dell computer. For some reason I can not turn on the windows 7 firewall. The option is not grayed out, but when I click "use recommended settings" nothing happens. I have done a complete scan with Windows Security Essentials and there are no viruses.

Answer

A:

Hi,

In order to troubleshoot this issue you need to follow these below provided methods.

Method 1: Please run  "services.msc", stop "Windows Event Controller" service first, then make sure "Base Filtering Engine"    service is started.
In the Start Menu type devmgmt.msc, and open Device Manager. On the View tab, choose "Devices by connection" and put a check next to "Show hidden devices". Look for Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (it will have a gold gear icon).Double-click that, and on the Driver tab, make sure the Startup type is set to "Demand".
Then start "Windows Firewall" service, and check if the issue gets resolved.

Method 2: The  Firewall Authorization Driver (mdsdrv.sys) is a protected windows system file. You can run the System File Checker           tool and if the file is found to be corrupted, it will be replaced.
   Follow these steps carefully.
   Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories.
   Right click the 'Command Prompt' item and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.
   Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.
   In the command window type the following command.
   SFC /SCANNOW
   Press ENTER.

This will take a few minutes to complete. Try not to use the computer while SFC is running.
After the tool is finished, reboot the computer and check the Firewall options again.
Let me know the results.

Also follow this below Microsoft Windows help article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off

Thanks and Regards:

I. Suuresh Kumar- Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

92 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 160,089 Last updated: June 19, 2018 Applies to: