Cannot log on to "Guest account" in Windows 7: get "user profile service failed the logon" message

I turned on the Guest Account feature in the Control Panel so my daughter could use my computer without having access to all the administrator features.  But at the log on screen, clicking on the Guest icon only produces the above error message.  Can someone please tell me how to fix this?  Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 4,251 Applies to:
Hi,

I'd have you follow the steps from the below article in order to resolve the issue.

Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer by using a temporary profile: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I turned on the Guest Account feature in the Control Panel so my daughter could use my computer without having access to all the administrator features. 

Then turn it OFF again immediately! The Guest account is turned off by default for a reason - it allows anonymous access to your computer.

Create a Standard User account for your daughter - that is far more secure and does not have any admin function.

BTW, there is no need for YOU to run as an admin account on a daily basis either and in fact adds you the risk of using your computer.

You need to forget anything to do with XP, and create a User Account with Administrator privileges, (call it Admin or similar) and give it a password. Keep this account for emergency access and for elevation purposes. Then change your User account to a Standard User account.(There is absolutely no need to run as an administrator on a daily basis in Windows 7 - Windows 7 has the "right-click-run as administrator" function for when you need admin privileges). You will be much safer and better protected doing this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately this did not solve the issue.  The knowledge base article suggests 3 methods.  None of them work.

1. I looked in the registry at the place indicated.  There is only one S-1-5-21 directory followed by a long number.  There is no other directory ending in "bak" that could be renamed and copied.  So this method in not applicable.
  2. Method 2 says to copy my data to a new account.  This is not applicable either since a "guest account" is not being created.  There is nothing to copy.
  3. Metod 3 says to download and run a Microsoft Fix-it application.  I did so and it had no effect.

Note that in addition to not being able to create a guest account, I am also unable to log on to any other user account I try to create.  I can still log on as usual to my primary account that has administrator privilege, but I cannot log on to either a guest account or any other user account that I try to create.  When I try that, I get the error message above upon logging in.

Can you please think of another way to fix this problem?

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, this is useful advice which I could implement once I get the new account feature to work properly.  For now I am unable to even log on to a Guest Account, and I am also unable to log on to any new Standard User Account I try to create.

The problem I am trying to solve is that Windows 7 is not letting me create and log on to any new accounts.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.