Cannot install drivers (program) as administrator on Win 7 Home Premium

My issue is the exact same as this thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/bcfdfa87-cd6a-45c9-8beb-f767cefd00f5

I'm trying to install updated drivers.  I double-click on it, UAC warns me, and then nothing.  The application event log shows ID 882:

Access to C:\Users\owner\Downloads\...  has been restricted by your Administrator by policy rule {11015445-d282-4f86-96a2-9e485f593302}.

My version of Windows is different as I'm running Home Premium.  I don't have Local Security Policies in administrative tools like the post suggests above.

I was able to update the video driver yesterday with same account.  The only changes since then were updating drivers such as video, touchpad, wlan, lan.

My account is the administrator.  If I go to User Accounts, it says administrator under the login id.  I've also tried right clicking on the setup.exe and running as administrator. 

|
Answer
Answer

I hate when I answer my own issues, but I have a way around this for others.

Apparently, Home Premium doesn't have local group policy so the above link doesn't apply.  The issue came down to two things:

1. Parental Controls
  2. Multiple logins

I have parental controls on for several login profiles because I have several trainers who use the computer.  I restrict installing programs.  The administrator account does not have parental controls on (you can't actually).  However, if you login with an non-admin account first upon start up, the parental controls are applied to the computer.  I logged in as the administrator after I logged in as the non-admin.  I couldn't install anything. 

After rebooting and logging in as an admin first, installations proceeded.  It required a reboot.  A logoff  of the non-admin account is not sufficient. 

I chalk this up to a use case not tested by Microsoft or Live services.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2021 Views 2,467 Applies to: