Can Bitlocker be used to encrypt mirrored disks in a RAID 1 volume?

Is it possible to use Bitlocker to encrypt a RAID 1 volume in Windows 7 Ultimate? The volume consists of two mirrored disks, created using a RAID enabled motherboard. What happens if one of the disks fails? Will I still be able to read the other and re-mirror it to a new disk?
Answer
Answer

I have the simple answer. BitLocker doesn't work on software RAIDs, but it does work for hardware RAIDs.

I'm running a RAID 1 under Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and wanted a way to secure my drives with BitLocker. So I did a lot of research to finally find the answer on Microsoft TechNet's site, buried deep. This answer should be out in the open in Windows 7 Help, yet I found nothing and wanted to be sure before I made a move. Here's the link if you want to read up on it yourself. It should take you to a chart about halfway down the document. Our concern is listed under Drive Configuration > Software, where you'll see that software-based RAIDs are not supported. I've also found similar confirmation on other websites/forums.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449438(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_R2disks 

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2021 Views 22,511 Applies to: