Calls from 661-748-0240 saying they are Microsoft?

On October 29th, 2013 about 11:00am I received a call from this number: 661-748-0240.

The person on the other end identified themselves as an employee of Microsoft, they also gave me their name (which I don't remember).

They said Microsoft got over 500 messages from my computer in the last 5 days saying there was an error on my computer that if it wasn't corrected within 15 days they would have to force a reboot / reinstall on my PC remotely to get rid of the errors / hack / virus. They said they didn't want to have to do this because I would lose all data on my PC if it happened. He reminded me that they did this about 18 months ago.

I told them I had partitions and didn't have that concern, he insisted that I would lose all data? He stated that it would cost me about $2000.00 for data recovery and that's why they didn't want to have to force a reinstall on my PC remotely. He said something about being official Microsoft employees again and how would he know this if he wasn't.

In spite of flags going off in my head I still I went along with this and went to this page to download a messenger program:

https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/Customer/Code.aspx

He had me enter his security code of: 485801 (this code doesn't work anymore).

They used this messenger program to connect to me and gain remote access to my PC:

Support-LogMeInRescue.exe (blue circle with white cross in middle for an icon)

With the messenger program a John M? took over and they asked for remote access and I ignorantly gave it to him. He searched around my logs for errors and couldn't get access. The error logs weren't on.

I fell for this 18 months ago (as mentioned above) and paid them money from my credit card, I don't remember how much. They used an aggressive registry fix tool remotely that destroyed my PC and I sat there and watched as they did it. I had to do a total reinstall (I didn't lose access to my other partitions with the total reinstall, I also have two other OS on my PC for any such issues).

This time they were saying the same thing and wanted remote access. I almost fell for it again. I did give them remote access questioning why they needed to do this. But once they asked for money again I figured it is a scam.

They gave me two options a one time event for $99.00 or a two year term for $199.00.

I told them I have no money right now, which is true, and that I'd call them back. They stopped the remote access and gave me this number to call back: 1-855-306-9026 This number is for a "United Tech Support", supposedly used by many institutions including Microsoft for handling different issues.

http://unitedtechsupports.com

A search on this number gives sites where people mention that there are many different scams people have received from this number and that it is used by cyber criminals.

I would like Microsoft to comment on calls from this number, they must have had to deal with this issue before.

Please let us know if this is a scam (which I can hardly imagine it isn't) or not. And what concerns I should have that I ignorantly let them have remote access to my PC.

Deeply concerned over issues like this.

John

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2019 Views 14,369 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Its a scam - http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

If you get a call like this NEVER let them have access and NEVER give them any information or money.

Just to be safe, as a minimum, If they did access your computer it is worth updating your Anti-Virus package and running a full scan, then download, install, update and run a full scan with free Malwarebytes. Change any passwords you use on-line esp banking accounts and email etc.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.