Accidentally deleted system files; Windows replaced them, cannot restore original files

I deleted the two files mentioned in this question : http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/ce791275-9572-4305-8902-098a706c32e1

Upon realising my mistake, I tried to move them back out of the recycle bin to replace the files Windows had created as a replacement, but the new files were listed as "in use" by System and I can't do that.  So I coped them back as 7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-0 (2) and 7B296FB0-376B-497e-B012-9C450E1B7327-5P-1 (2).

My problem is the same as the previous asker's.  Windows told me upon restart that I need to verify the legitimacy of my operating system, and that I can either download software to do so or re-enter my product's registration and activation keys.  The problem is that I don't have these anymore -- my mother threw away the packaging for my netbook, in which I stored my installation and setup booklet which contained the keys, and both numbers on the sticker on the back of my netbook have worn off.  I need to be able to restore the original files.  Can someone help me do this?

Answer
Answer

Yes, you can boot a netbook with an Ubuntu USB flash disk. I have a link for a German site with instructions on how to make one but I'm sure there are English language sites too.

If you are familiar with console commands then you can restore your problem files when booting into Repair Mode with a flash disk. You can find instructions for making a bootable flash disk here: http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/create-bootable-windows-7-system-repair-usb-drive-netbooks/.

All Microsoft product keys consist of five groups of 5 letters or numbers each, e.g. like so:
12345 67ABC 098DE ABCYX 54111.

The message you see might be generated by some subtle change in the registry. If so then you should stop using the machine immediately in order to prevent the registry backup files from being overwritten. They reside here: c:\Windows\System32\RegBack. You must save them in a safe place immediately, either when booting into Ubuntu or into Repair Mode. They get overwritten once every few days, perhaps at the next reboot!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 29, 2020 Views 5,601 Applies to: