Change Users/[USERNAME] folder name?

Hi all. 

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 a day or 2 ago.  I was upgrading from XP, and used the Windows Easy Transfer tool to transfer all files and settings from one to the other.  For this purpose, I created what I considered to be a temporary user called "Initial".  When using the easy transfer tool, however, it migrated the main account from XP (Tez) to the "Initial" account on Win 7.  I thought it wouldn't be a problem and that I'd just rename the Win7 user account from Initial to Tez.  I did this with no issues, however the User folder is still called Initial.  Is there any way to rename this to Tez?

I did come up with one solution, however I don't know how well it would work...  If I renamed the Win 7 account back to Initial, then created a new account called Tez and simply dragged the contents of the Initial user folder to the new Tez user folder, would all settings be transferred with it? 

Alternatively, is there any way to clone the contents/settings of one user account to another?

Many thanks in advance,

Tez

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 12,914 Applies to:
Answer
The solution you propose would transfer your files but not your settings.

Forcing an account to use a different profile folder is possible but requires a registry hack. Do you have a strong reason to align the profile folder name with your account name and do you have experience with hacking the registry? If no then I recommend that you live with the two names. It's only a cosmetic issue, after all.
ID#0207. If this response was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click "Propose as answer". Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Cheers guys.  I just had another thought which I might try before the above, let me know what you think...

Use Windows Easy Transfer to copy the files from the current Tez user, rename that account to Initial (the same as the user folder), then create a new account called Tez and use easy transfer on that...

Might give it a try anyway, don't seem to have anything to lose doing it that way...

Cheers, Tez

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.