Can anybody assist me in finding a solution for A reoccurring Windows7 Security issue i have ?__Windows 7 Home Premium Repeatedly gives me this Windows Security Warning:__"A Program or Firewall is NOT Compatible with this version of Windows"__

Hello all.

This is my first post in Microsoft answers.

I am having A reoccurring windows Security alert and  issue with my Windows 7 Home premium edition.

I have A Dell Studio1737 Laptop.

I get A Windows Security Alert warning stating

"A Program or Firewall is NOT Compatible with this version of Windows"

Name: Microsoft Console Based Script Host
Publisher: Microsoft Corp
Path: C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe

I also run Norton Internet Security on my laptop. I am also quite careful about my online activities so i am pretty confident it is Not a Malware issue. but i could also be wrong.

I have contacted Norton Support and after removing and reinstalling Norton IS 2010 A couple of times. They advised me to contact Microsoft Support for assistance because they could not rectify the issue I am having.

Dell Support have not been much help either (Nothing new there).

I have searched extensively for a solution and an answer but i have unfortunately not found anything that has helped me.

Can anybody here help me with this issue. Because I am not filled with confidence at the moment about my laptops security ?

Also if anybody could give me any information about what cscript.exe is and why it is causing these problems.

Regards

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2018 Views 703 Applies to:
Answer

Hi equaliser,

1. Does the message go away after you uninstall Norton security?
2. Since when are you facing this issue?

Cscript.exe is a command-line version of the Windows Script Host that provides command-line options for setting script properties. It is Microsoft system file.

I would suggest you to check if completely removing all the non-Microsoft security software stops the display of the message. If it does than there definitely exists some issues with the software you have installed.

You may perform a clean boot and check in the clean boot state. This will help you identify any non-Microsoft program causing the issue -

To perform the clean boot follow the step 1 mentioned in the below article and then check if the message gets displayed in this clean boot state -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue gets resolved check which non-Microsoft service is causing the problem; referring to the article and following other steps.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

1. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  2. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.