Question

Q: //CHANGING SECURITY POLICIES AT ROOT NOT WORKING//

I have recently upgraded from Vista Ultimate 64 to Windows Pro 7 64. I have several systems behind my firewall. The issue that I am experiencing is when I goto the Properties, then securities on any of my 1 TB HD's and try and change policies at the root level. When I apply I receive error message that denies certain root directory system files as well as some directories structures. No problem with hardware because I was effectively doing this on Vista machine with no issues. Is there a work around? This is VERY annoying... Thanks

Answer

A:

Hi,

a. May I know what is the exact error message that you get when you try to apply the settings?
b. Is your computer on a domain?

Temporarily disable any security software and check if it helps.

IMPORTANT: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you
do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your
antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Also, enable default administrator account and try to make changes from that account.

1. Open the Local Users and Groups manager.
2. In the left pane, click on the Users folder.
3. In the middle pane, right click on Administrator and click on Properties.
4. To Enable the Built-in Administrator Account -
a) Uncheck the Account is disabled box. 
5. Click on Ok.

NOTE: Click on the Administrator icon to log on to the built-in Administrator account.

Now from the above provided steps you need to check whether you are able to resolve the issue, if you are able to fix the issue with default administrator account
then you need to follow the below provided step to create a new user account and check for the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 425 Last updated: March 19, 2018 Applies to: