HELP...Access Denied on USB drive after removing all permissions!!!!

I accidentally removed all the access permissions from my external USB drive, after I had already taken FULL ownership of the drive, and now it shows me the drive icon and letter "E:", but states that Access is Denied when opening. Even the "Security Tab" is gone from the drive's properties. I was trying to change permissions to include inheritable ones, and I hit the wrong button to remove I think(I was stupidly moving too quickly through all the options, my fault), and after that I was no longer able to acces the drive. I have thousands of files on this drive!!PLEASE HELP, ANYONE?? The drive still shows up within Windows Explorer as E:, and Disk Management shows it as a Healthy (Primary Partition).

Rod.

UPDATE: Found the fix, thank you lord!! I tried going into Safe Mode just in case, and it worked! Go into Safe Mode, and login with an administrator account. From there you will be able to right click on the drive and have the "Security Tab" working again, where you can take ownership and add permissions back!!

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2018 Views 4,790 Applies to:
Answer

I accidentally removed all the access permissions from my external USB drive, after I had already taken FULL ownership of the drive, and now it shows me the drive icon and letter "E:", but states that Access is Denied when opening. Even the "Security Tab" is gone from the drive's properties. I was trying to change permissions to include inheritable ones, and I hit the wrong button to remove I think(I was stupidly moving too quickly through all the options, my fault), and after that I was no longer able to acces the drive. I have thousands of files on this drive!!PLEASE HELP, ANYONE?? The drive still shows up within Windows Explorer as E:, and Disk Management shows it as a Healthy (Primary Partition).

Rod.

UPDATE: Found the fix, thank you lord!! I tried going into Safe Mode just in case, and it worked! Go into Safe Mode, and login with an administrator account. From there you will be able to right click on the drive and have the "Security Tab" working again, where you can take ownership and add permissions back!!

Hi Rod – Welcome to Microsoft Answers Community.

Thanks for your update, very helpful. Some tips, you can use
Takeown utility from Command Prompt (CMD) to take owner-ship.
More about Takeown Command-Line Options, read here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753024(WS.10).aspx
and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771080(WS.10).aspx.

I hope you find this information useful and if you need any further assistance,
please feel free to contact me and let me know.

I hope this information was helpful…

Have a nice day…

Best regards,
Fisnik

Itknowledge24.com
Geek
Former Microsoft MVP
Consumer Security
Microsoft Community Contributor

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.