Question

Q: Can't enable Windows 7 Firewall

I recently purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. However, I cannot activate my firewall. When I go into my Firewall settings from the Control Panel, it doesn't even allow me to click the 'Turn Windows Firewall on or off' option to the left. Now, it stated in my firewall settings that "These settings are being managed by vendor application NORTON FIREWALL PROVIDER". So I thought perhaps my Norton firewall was interfering with it, so I turned off its Smart Firewall. But I still can't turn on my windows firewall. In fact, I cannot click most of the options in my Firewall Settings at all (Turn Firewall on/off, Restore Defaults, Change settings etc). The only thing I can click is the Advanced Settings and Troubleshoot. Any help would be appreciated.

Answer

A:

You will need to choose between Norton Firewall and the Windows 7 built-in firewall. Frankly, I don't recommend any Norton/McAfee products so I would completely uninstall what came with your laptop and use the built-in Windows Firewall instead. For antivirus protection I recommend NOD32 (commercial) or Avast, Avira, or MS Security Essentials if you need a free antivirus program.
MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 15,059 Last updated: April 19, 2018 Applies to: