Problem changing document User name

I recently purchased a used lap top with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. I wanted to change all the settings so that there in my name. I was able to make myself the administrator and was also able to put the PC in my name. Now i'm just trying to change the name of my documents folder. At the moment when I open a program is says C:/user/Michael...and my name isn't Michael. I went and right-clicked on my documents and clicked properties. I then had a window pop up where I was able to change the name, but when I tried to press ok a window popped up that says, "Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect." So I am unable to fix the name. I tried changing my permissions but its still not working!

To make my life even worse I tried to contact someone at Microsoft and in order for this to be free for me I have to enter my identification code. I entered it and the website won't take it. Soooo I could REALLY use your help! Thanks to anyone that thinks they can help me out!

Britney

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2018 Views 349 Applies to:
Answer
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:56:22 +0000, britneymcf wrote:

> I recently purchased a used lap top with Windows 7 Home Premium on it. I wanted to change all the settings so that there in my name. I was able to make myself the administrator and was also able to put the PC in my name. Now i'm just trying to change the name of my documents folder. At

In my view, you're playing with fire.

If I acquired a used computer, no matter who previously owned it, the
first thing I would do with it would be to reinstall the operating
system cleanly. You have no idea how the computer has been maintained,
what has been installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and
spyware there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody
else's mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddy p0rn, etc., and I
wouldn't recommend that anyone else do so either.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

Ken Blake

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.