4 day old lap top, just got error code 0x80070424 help!

I just go a new Dell laptop on Sunday the 18 and today I went on btjunkie to download a torrent, which is probably how I got this problem, and AVG said I had I virus. It happened very quickly, I chose to scan, it than removed two files and I restarted. When my pc booted back up AVG said everything was clean, but McCafee than said my firewall is down. McCaffee firewall is down, and when I attempt to turn it on it stays on briefly than turns off. Also, when I go to the control panel and try and turn the firewall on, reset it, pretty much anything dealing with windows firewall I get error code 0x80070424. I browsed the internet and the problem seems common, but all of those are on older computers, mine is only 4 days old. What should I do? If i am in the wrong forum let me know asap please!

Answer
Answer

Have you installed or saved much in the last four days? Hopefully not as backing up saved stuff should not take too long for you.

As it is so new..

Do a back to factory install.. 

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Restart it and immediately press CTRL + F11 keys at the same time
  3. You should next see the Dell Recovery Restore Utility.
  4. Follow the instructions

It will take a while, but will rid you of any problems.

When this has completed, run Windows update until there are no more SOFTWARE updates left to install. Do NOT install any HARDWARE updates.

Next..

Uninstall any amd all trial versions of anti-virus programs, and then forget about McAfee, Norton etc.

Go to this website and download Microsoft Security Essentials..

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5201

When installed, updated and run, it should protect you well as long as you do not invite trouble in through a back door like a P2P or torrent website. You do this at your own risk as you have already found out. If MSE tells you that the website is bad or the file to download is bad, let MSE do its stuff.

You are now in a position to re-install your own stuff and re-instate any other documents, music, photos etc which you may have saved within the last four days..

:-)

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2018 Views 221 Applies to: