Windows not detecting TV to connect to

I am using Windows 7, have an LCD Acer monitor, and trying to connect to a Sharp Aquos LCD TV.
I have both my monitor and TV connected to my graphics cards in separate DVI ports (each with a DVI->HDMI converter then an HDMI cable to the device).
I am using a desktop computer for this, NOT a laptop.

When using the Control Panel->Display->Screen Resolution options I only see my monitor.  When I click detect it adds a smaller box to the right of my monitor saying another display not detected.
I have tried connecting to it through the NVidia control panel, but even with rigorous display detection it does not work.
It does prompt me if I want to use a TV connection, I say yes but nothing happens.
I have even tried using the win+p key combination which has no effect, I have used both the duplicate and extend options as well as projector only.

Occassionaly (about 30-40% of the time) when I turn on my computer after the windows loading animation, immediately after the POST screen, the screen on my monitor goes black and all I have is a mouse arrow, which can be moved around, as well as being moved wayy to the left, off the monitor screen.  I used to think this was windows not booting properly, but it turns out it is really using my TV as my primary monitor, so everything I normally see on my monitor is on my TV and on my monitor I have just a black screen I can move my mouse to.  Restarting my computer usually fixes this and changes my monitor to be my default display, or I can go to the screen resolution options and just select my monitor and click OK and my TV is lost in wonderland again.

Windows XP had no problems at all with connecting to the TV.

So overall I think I should be able to connect to it considering XP did it just fine, and that it often connects to it (when it shouldn't) and still won't say it has detected anything besides my normal Acer monitor (even when it's being displayed on my TV).

I have looked around on the windows forums as well as other help forums and no one seems to have the same issue as me.
I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2020 Views 134,670 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Ok the solution I have found for windows 7 is the following :

Go to Control Panel
Click 'Hardware and Sound'
Click 'Device Manager'
Click 'Display Adaptor'  it should now show your graphics card
Right click on your graphics card name and click 'Uninstall'
Once that finishes - Reboot your pc

On rebooting the standard windows driver will install for your graphics card.

This worked for me.

Good luck.

69 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Vishus,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

I appreciate Ronnnie's reply, however, I would ask you to take a look at the following:

Please try with these steps:

1.       Right click on the Desktop.

2.       Choose Screen Resolution.

3.       Let’s see if TV has been detected. If not, press “Detect” button.

Also go through the below steps:

Step1:

Choose the connection for video output. If your computer has an HDMI port, otherwise, you will need to make a few decisions. If your computer has only a single video output, and it will not be used solely with the television, you may want to invest in a new video card. Purchase one with either a DVI or an HDMI output, and install it in an available slot, according the instructions included with it. If you intend to use the VGA output on a single-output or dual-output card to drive the HDMI display, then a special device will be needed to convert between the formats, and the price of the converter is actually about the same price as an entry-level video card that will be easier to use with your TV. In that case, it may be a wise idea to upgrade the card in order to obtain a DVI or HDMI port. However, if your chosen output port is of the DVI variety, an inexpensive DVI to HDMI cable can be purchased to convert your computer's output into the proper HDMI input for your TV.

Step 2:

Connect the HDMI cable from your television to your computer. Install the correct adapter or converter for your computer, if necessary. Unless your computer has HDMI output, cords will also need to be connected from the sound card output to the HDMI video cable or adapter, because HDMI carries both video and audio signals.

Step 3:

1.    1.      Boot your PC, and configure the new display,

2.  Go to "Control Panel" from the "Start" Menu.

3.    Double-click the "Display" icon and click the "Settings" tab.

The manual for your HDMI TV will list the screen resolutions it supports, along with the refresh rates.

Configure the resolution in the "Settings" tab, and then click the "Advanced" button to set the refresh rate.

If you are using the HDMI TV as the second monitor, you will also have to configure how it is used by Windows, according to the instructions pertaining to your video card. Most cards offer a "Clone" or "Mirror" mode, where both screens display the same content. Alternately, the "Extended Desktop" mode can be used, in which each monitor will operate independently.

Step 4:

Reboot your computer to apply the changes, if necessary.

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.