Windows Media Player will not play certain audio files.

I have this issue where if I try to play certain audio files using WMPlayer, it will say that the media has changed even though it really doesn't do anything. Most of the time, it works, even if I'm playing a file of the same format. Here's 2 pics of my issue:

^  When it fails to play...  ^

^  When it successfully plays...  ^

Yeah, I just installed files for an original XBOX dashboard, & I've put a Windows XP sound scheme on this computer as you can see. Anyways, I wanted to play the XBOX sounds it doesn't work. Instead, I get an error msg saying: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." If you look, the sound files shown are all .wav files. Well, on WMPlayer, as it tries (& fails) to play the XBOX sounds, at the top left corner of the screen, it says: Media Changing... I read this article on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15076/windows-media-player-error-idfallback?mpver=12.0.7601.23517&id=C00D11B1&contextid=83&originalid=80040266, said something about the possibility of lacking the right codec which didn't get me anywhere (it's probably something I have to download). Anyways, PLZ HELP!!!

Btw if all the icons on the taskbar don't give it away, I'm not using Windows Vista. I just made Windows 7 look like Vista.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2023 Views 244 Applies to: