Windows Media Player - Not enough memory error

I have tried to watch videos I have recorded using windows media center on the computer in both media center and media player. However, I get the error message that there is not enough memory and to close down other programs before trying to play again. And media center just has a black screen. I know the recording is good because I can play it on another computer using windows media center. I have tried to increase the ram memory by adding space for the computer to use on both hard drives.  I don't know what else to do. 

I am running windows 7 home premium

AMD Phenom II X2 550 processor

4.00 GB of RAM

ATI Radeon HD5400 Series Card

Ceton TV Tuner Card

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2018 Views 4,395 Applies to:

Hi,

·         Are you able to play the other files saved on the computer using media player or media center?

·         Are you able to play these files using media player in other computer?

Step 1: Uninstall and reinstall Windows media center.

a.    Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.

b.    Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.

c.    Expand "Media Features", uncheck “Windows Media Center". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit. Then Restart.

d.    Open "Turn Windows features on or off" again. Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" and "Windows Media Center". Restart.

e.    Launch Windows Media Player again, initialize the program.

Step 2:Make sure the codec used to compress the file is installed on your computer. Some codec’s aren't supported by the Player

Codecs: frequently asked questions

Playing videos in Windows Media Center: frequently asked questions  

Also refer to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Preventing-low-memory-problems#section_1

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried to follow the steps you stated Diana D but when I opened the "Turn Windows Features on or off" box, there was no "Media Center" option.

What do you suggest next?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.