Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Windows Media Player how to save m3u Video playlists to computer

I LOVE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER FOR ONE MAIN REASON,  SINCE CAN (PREVIEW & PLAY) ALL MY VIDEOS IN WINDOWS 7 PC AND LAPTOP EXPLORER DIRECTLY, CANNOT FIND ANOTHER MEDIA PLAYER THAT CAN DO THIS,  WHICH MAKES SETTING UP CUSTOM VIDEO PLAYLISTS ALOT EASIER.

1. BUT STILL CANNOT FIGURE OUT WAY TO SAVE M3U VIDEO PLAYLISTS IN WMP TO COMPUTER FILE OR EXT DRIVE SO CAN PLAY ON WD DIGITAL STREAMER ETC??

2. ALSO, CANNOT EVEN FIGURE OUT WHAT WMP VERSION I HAVE, THE MS HELP PAGE INSTRUCTIONS TO HIT ALT KEY PLUS H KEY, DOES NOT SHOW ME ABOUT VERSION ETC FOR SOME REASON?

3. LASTLY, ANYWAY TO HAVE WMP DISPLAY ONLY DUPLICATE FILES IN VERY LARGE PLAYLISTS IN WMP LIKE IN OTHER PLAYERS?

IN OTHER MEDIA PLAYERS ALL OF THESE OPTIONS ARE VERY EASY TO FIGURE OUT, BUT TRYING TO CONFIRM IF THESE OPTIONS ARE EVEN AVAIL IN EITHER WM PLAYER, OR IN WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER ?? IF NOT WHY?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP, AND SORRY FOR THE CAPS, WAS IN SUCH A HURRY TO TYPE DID NOT EVEN REALIZE UNTIL TOO LATE. THANKS!!!

Answer
Answer

Thanks for the response Andrew, I was able to figure out finally on my own how to at least save my playlists to ext drive thru the list menu options, whew!

Per Andrew

Set WMP to classic view,R.click its icon top left of upper task bar.

( I right clicked on all WMP icons, found no option to select Classic Menu etc)

Per Andrew,

Once thru,locate tools tab,options,all the settings show in new window.

You can specify where you want files kept,other HDs are ok to store media.

(Only option I could find was in burning cds or audio, not videos, do not see anything that says Tools menu etc? Unless thats just a term used)

Per Andrew,

As far as version,locate HELP,by tools tab,select, about

Also,in HELP,you can select "on-line" help,gets you WMP data

(I looked all over for About WMP, in and throughout Help screens, even online I could not find any option to tell me what version I have or if an better updated version etc was avail for my Win 7 PC) Not sure if I am in an older outdated version or something, where I can not see this stuff etc?

Same WMP version that came with my Rebuilt Win 7 PC though.

As mentioned , until recently I always stayed away from WMP because was always too difficult to navigate common options like this compared to other media players like VLC etc, where all the above items were never a problem, but I need the WMP Preview video option now,  I guess WMP is still just not as user friendly, so will have to figure further.

I am also still trying to confirm is there is a way in WMP to view only , any duplicate files in larger playlists etc?? Thanks for the help!!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2020 Views 643 Applies to: