Windows Media Player 12 - Reloads library every time I open WMP / I am losing my mind

When I open WMP, no files are in the library.  It immediately "updates" library, and the whole process takes ~2min.  Since I only use WMP to stream to my xbox, this is very frustrating.  Is there a simple fix?

Thanks.

Relevant info: Running W7-Ultimate.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I suggest that you try resetting the media library, by following these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
- Go to Start, type  services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service . If its status is Started , double-click the service and click  Stop .
- Go to Start, type  %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
- In this folder, rename the  Media Player folder to something like Media Player old . If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
- Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the issue still occurs.
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk
Tim De Baets

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response, but this did not solve my problem.

I will close out of WMP and re-open after about 5 minutes, where I get to this screen:

[link removed]

WMP starts "updating" my library after about 10 seconds, and is finished updating after about 2 minutes.  Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you create a new user account in Control Panel, and log in on that account, does the same happen there?
Tim De Baets
Tim De Baets

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. My music library is large so the update always takesforever . I'm using W7-Ultimate 64-bit and I also have iTunes installed which I've always suspected as the culprit somehow. I've come up with very little on google searches about this problem and this is the first time I've seen a post about it from someone else.

I think when I have streaming turned off in Media Player this problem doesn't occur, but that defeats the purpose of why I use Media Player (streaming to XBox).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem, but my music is stored on a network drive. One computer saves the list fine, the other seems to reset every time. I have no idea why one would, but not the other. . . unless somehow Media Player from one is conflicting with the other?

I will be checking in ever few days, I want to investigate this. . . I have almost 20,000 songs (I have been collecting music a long time). . . it takes a LONG time for the stupid ATOM processor, and a lot of network resources to have to wait an hour for the music to load.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found a solution that fits to my liking:

- Uninstall WMP

- Check out XBMC (xbox media center) - free source media player which is pretty great

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same trouble. I'm using two machines, both running W7 Home Premium and the same status on windows updates. I'm wishing to share libraries, without having to stream the library from either machine. I use Mesh to keep the folders that contain the media synchronised and each instance on WMP / WMC can view the meta data such as genre / ratings regardless of which machine this is updated on.

I'm a Zune subscriber so I use that client too on both machines and this also uses the same media files and works fine. (Sometimes Zune creates a local copy and I keep an eye out for that) In fact I wouldn't use WMP / WMC at all but for the fact that the playlist capability in Zune is pretty awful..... another story

So I get duplicate entries in the library screens for certain files and here's the detail.

My music library in W7 contains signposts to about 12 directories in the OS. Some of these directories are in my home space, some are in the public space - not a network drive, just in the public directories. The directories are not in the music sub folder.

I have no control over the placing of these local directories, Mesh puts them there when the synch relationship is created.

The duplication only happens for files that are contained within the home drive of the user account on whichever machine I'm using. Anything that is stored in a public folder is OK and loads very fast.

This behaviour leads me to believe that there is a conflicvt between the library feature in W7 and the monitoring feature of WMP

I've tried resetting the library and I've tried removing the signposts to home directory locations in the music library to see if the app will monitor them anyway and load up. Neither approach is succesful. With 10000 files, loading time is 20 minutes and this isn't acceptable at all.

Would like some help please?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Neil: in WMP's library, please click Organize, and select Manage libraries - Music . What locations are listed there? Same question for the other libraries (Videos, Pictures, Recorded TV).

I also suggest that you check the file paths of the duplicates. In WMP, enable the File path column (by right-clicking a column header such as Title and selecting Choose columns). If you then look at some duplicate songs, what are their file paths?
Tim De Baets

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tim, thanks for coming back to me

There are twelve folders in my library.
All these folders are synchronised with mesh between two W7 machines. Each folder contains about 700 media files, organised by artist, album etc

On machine 1, one folder is located within the user account public, the rest are located within my user account directory structure - at root level and not within the my music structure.

Machine 2 is reversed, most folders are in the public account, just one is local.

When I look at the library structure in Windows, WMP or WMC I see the same thing - that is a list of twelve locations each pointing to the right location. i can open the locations from the music players or the windows explorer screens and everything seems to work. No files are duplicated.

If I look at the file path in WMP, as instructed, the files are in the same place. 

However, in the media library screens of WMP some entries are duplicated.

I have followed the instructions within these pages....deleted the media player directory and started afresh on both machines and I have been forced to switch off the updated info from internet feature and the library sharing feature of W7.

Its still happening. Just opened wmp after 2 days and its doing its search routine...will take 20 mins to complete. When its done, the date added entry will have been updated for every file in the collection that comes from the non-music directory of the local directory structure

That is

C:\users\\myname\music\.... files are not updated\duplicated
C:\users\public\... files are updated\duplicated
C:\users\myname\anywhereotherthanmusic\.... files are re-added and sometimes duplcated

Zune opens just fine and works right away, its just a bit simple for me at the moment, needs access to some more file attributes. 

As per previous posts, I cannot get Mesh to sync to a specific folder.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are twelve folders in my library.

Which *exact* folders?

If I look at the file path in WMP, as instructed, the files are in the same place. 

If you take some of the duplicate songs, what are their *exact* file paths?

Tim De Baets

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2021 Views 4,724 Applies to: