Windows Media Center will not find/display video files

I have read a lot of articles about Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center problems with libraries, but haven't found any useful solutions to the following problem. First some background:

1) Windows 7 up-to-date

2) Windows Video Library properly defined with a Videos folder on another partition/drive letter

3) Windows Media Player with additional codecs to play .avi video files (mostly xvid format)

4) Windows Media Center working properly for most functions (no error messages)

5) Indexing is enabled

My problem is that while Windows Media Player library/database has all my Videos\subfolders listing all their contents and playing all contents, Windows Media Center in the Video Library shows my Video subfolders but all the folders are empty and WMC displays the message "There are no items in this library yet - Windows Media Center is searching for media files in the background ..."

WMC is NOT searching for video files in the background. I can find no such process running and no videos have shown up after weeks with this problem.

I would like to watch my videos on my XBOX using Windows Media Center.

|

Hi KWEagle,

Let us try the following two methods and check if it resolves the issue.

Your index requires virtually no maintenance. However, if the index has problems finding files that you know should be located in an indexed location; you might need to rebuild the index. This can take a long time to complete, so avoid performing this step unless you have given the index enough time (several hours) to correct any problems first.

Method 1:  To rebuild the index:

a.       Open Indexing Options by clicking the  Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type “indexing options” (without quotes), and then click Indexing Options.

b.      Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab and then click Rebuild.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Improve Windows searches using the index:  frequently asked questions

Method 2: You may experience this problem if the data store is damaged. Therefore, try to rebuild the Media Center data store.  To do this, follow these steps:

a.       Exit any running instance of Windows Media Center.

b.      Delete the “mediaCenterDataStore.db” file. By default, this file is in the following location:
 %SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mediaCenterDataStore.db

To delete the file, follow these steps:

a.       Click Start, and then type “run” (without quotes) in the start search box. Press Enter.

b.      In the Open box, type “%systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome” (without quotes) and then click OK.

c.       Right-click “mediacenterdatastore.db” and then click Delete.

d.      Restart the computer for the changes to take effect after executing the steps.

Regards,

Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have looked in this directory, but the only db file was mcepg2-0.db or something like that.  searched whole drive for mediacenterdatastore.db and *.db and saw nothing similar or the same.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I even tried making the video folder shared with homegroup and adding as shared library, no luck.

Note, if I use Open With and force Media Center (eshell) to open it, it opens and plays fine.  Similar files in My Videos on systemdrive show up and play.

However, adding another user (named Candy, original user is Chris) then having that user add the shared library under media center allowed the files to be visible to that user.

Then, logging on as first user (the one that couldn't see any video files) and added the library as a shared it shows up as shared by Candy, even though Chris made it shared, Candy just was the first to successfully see it under media center. However, it does show up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 26, 2021 Views 4,316 Applies to: