Windows Media Center channel data updates coming for Europe

Hi everyone:

Jon Fincher from the Windows Media Center servicing team here.  I’ve got some news about channel data updates coming for some European countries of which I want to make you aware.

Beginning in later this month, we’ll be updating channel lineup data in the WMC EPG for the following countries:

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Slovakia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom

What this means is that WMC users in these countries will see updates to their channel lineup data – we’re making data on new channels available, removing data on channels which are not available anymore, and making some other updates.

Because channel information may have changed, you should check your scheduled recordings to make sure they’re still valid after these changes are rolled out.  This is true whether you record shows by show name, or by channel and time.  Your already recorded shows are safe and won’t be impacted.

Now, we’ve done these type of data updates before, and we haven’t put out posts like this covering them.  So why tell you about these changes now?  Well, two reasons.  First, we’re updating data in a lot of countries – so many in fact that we’ll be rolling these changes out in a controlled manner over several weeks to ensure we’re not having any negative impact on customers.

And second, we were all here for last year’s EPG data changes, and I want to assure you that these updates are not the same.  We’re not making any changes to data sources, processing methods, or delivery mechanisms, just updating the data to match what the in-country providers have.  To use email as an analogy, we’re not changing the email server or how you connect to it, just what’s in the message we send you.

I’m happy to answer questions you may have, as best I can.  You’ll get the best response from me here in the forum.

--Jon, MSFT

Discussion Info

Last updated May 13, 2020 Views 5,288 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Jon from MSFT.  I can't believe I'm seeing comments regarding WMC in October 2016.  I'm in the US and will not upgrade to Windows 10 because I don't want to lose WMC.  I dread the day I have to replace my computer.  Microsoft should sell free-standing software for Windows Media Center for those of us who will continue to use it.  We keep getting victimized by Microsoft.  In late 2014, when I replaced my computer, and installed the then current version of Zune, it would not recognize the password I had used for 7+ years and I lost 7+ years of music downloaded with the 10 free monthly credits.  Microsoft has no regard for its faithful users.

Hi Jon,

This is the first direct contact we have had with the Windows Media Center servicing team. Didn't know you existed.

Have you been looking at the tickets raised on MS Connect? If so you'll see this:

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback/Details/3107144

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback/Details/3100848

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback/Details/2171490

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback/Details/2234116

etc

We seem to be very badly served particularly in the last 6 weeks when apart form one 2 week EPG update we have had NO data for 5 weeks.

It will be good to have some data rather than NONE but I fear the worst.

Can you please provide some reassurance that we will have an EPG in the UK?

If we don't how do we raise the issue. There is never, ever any feedback on the MS Connect site

At least your email encourages us that there is at least a planned continuity of service

Hi Jon

I agree entirely with dephead2004's comments as it matches my own experience.

Please give us guide updates asap so we aren't without a guide for "several weeks"

Thanks

[UK/GB, Astra 28.2, DVB-S, BDS Guide]

Thanks for the reports.  We had been getting reports passed on by our MVP, Barb Bowman, and until this morning and these reports, I had thought they were under control.  I've alerted the team that there are still issues.

Right now, the Forums are the best way to get to the team.  Changes on the team over the past few years have made the Connect site less than ideal for engaging with everyone.  Answers we post here are available to everyone, and searchable long term as well.

--Jon

Hi Jon,

Those of us on the far side of the pond are encouraged by what you write.

The problem until I discovered MVP Barb and her reference to your post is that we don't know where to turn except to use the official channels.

So thanks, now we do and we look forward to the immediate future and on into the next decade of uninterrupted EPGs

So Jon, please can you give us a date when we'll get data in the UK EPG again.

At the moment it still ended a day ago, on 28th.  October.

Have been without any epg atall now for two days very depressed that this is happening again!

hope that someone at Microsoft can do something about this.

Hi Jon, I came home from working away to find no recordings again. Any news yet on when this latest outage will be fixed?

I don't have an ETA yet - once I have more data, I'll pass it along.

--Jon

Data appeared on my UK system (Crystal Palace Freeview) this morning and goes on to 16/11/16.

Long may it continue!