Windows DVD Maker --> Video's will not work/burn

I've been trying to burn a DVD from a video file using Windows DVD Maker.  Process begins and progress meter will get to about 74% (encoding) and stops.  Then I'll get the following error message:  

"Cannot create the DVD
An error occured when burning the DVD" 

Progress meter jumps to 99% and continues as if it's still encoding. The meter continues as if it's still encoding, sometimes overnight, until I close it out.  (appears to be looping)

Also noticed CPU usage (DVD maker) will range from 70% - 100%, nothing else us running.

I've been burning DVD's w/o a problem, in fact used the app on 5/2/10.  As it happened I downloaded some system updates on 5/3/10 and believe that started the problem  I'm usining Windows 7.  At first I didn't make the connection, but I'm seeing updates to Media player and several for Windows 7 x64 based systems.

I checked out the event viewer and I'm seeing tons of data; errors, warnings, info, etc.  I viewed some of the logs and found several associated to DVD Maker.

1) Event 1001; Dvd Maker: The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (-1072889809) when burning the disc.

2) Event 1002; Dvd Maker: Dvd Maker returned an error code (0xC00D002F) when burning the disc.
3) Error 1001; Dvd Maker:  The Dvd Maker engine returned an error code (-2) when burning the disc.
4) Error 1002; Dvd Maker:  Dvd Maker returned an error code (0xFFFFFFFE) when burning the disc. 

5) Error 11; cdrom: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

I've been checking some of the forums and support groups with similar problems, but haven't found a solution.  Several users have suggested 'uninstalling the AC3FILTER', which has been a successful work around for some of the reported problems, but I'm not comfortable making these changes and frankly don't have a clue!  I googled 'uninstalling the AC3FILTER', but didn't get much info and it didn't seem to fit my problem.  Also, the uninstall directions seemed very involved for a work around.  I'm thinking about just uninstalling the 5/3/10 updates, but don't know if it's one or all.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Does anyone know if there's a problem or connection with some of the recent updates? 
Can someone please help me out or recommend someone that can?
I hope this info is helpful and makes sense, Thank you all!

Did you have a restore point created before the updates were installed?  To check click the Start button and type System Restore and click the Enter key.  Choose Next, and the list of Restore points will appear.  You might want to choose the restore point created immediately before the Windows Updates were applied.  Then you can use Windows Update and install the patches one-by-one to narrow down the cause of the problem.

However, I don't see that any patches were released around May 3.  The patches for May will be released on May 11.  The ones that were released in April don't seem to address Windows DVD maker either.  Here's some information on the patches:  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-apr.mspx.

Barbara

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2021 Views 1,403 Applies to: