Windows 7 , Toshiba laptop, adding external speakers

I want to add my altec lansing speakers to my new toshiba laptop. the sound seems scratchy and distorted  - it almost seems that the external speakers are too strong. they worked fine on my old computer and windows xp. Is there something I am missing, or should be doing? I'll need user friendly answers please. thanks
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Cathcart,

Firstly, you may try to run the Audio troubleshooter built in Windows 7 and check if it identifies any issues and able to fix it.  Access the link below and follow the steps to troubleshoot audio problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Playing-Audio-troubleshooter

This issue can also happen if the external speakers are not properly configured on your laptop. Let's try to follow the steps below and verify if the speaker works on your computer.

1. With your external speakers plugged in, open Control Panel, then select Sound.

2. When the Sound dialog appears click the Playback tab.

3. Verify if the external speakers listed under playback devices.

4. If so, right click on the external speaker and click on default playback device.

5. If they are not listed, Right click on the blank space and click on show disabled device.

6. If the speakers are listed, right click on the speaker and click on default playback device.

Also change the exclusive-mode settings of a playback or recording device

1. Right-click the speaker icon in the notification area, which is located on the right side of the taskbar, and select Playback Devices or Recording Devices. (As an alternative, run the Windows multimedia control panel, Mmsys.cpl, from a Command Prompt window. For more information, see Remarks in DEVICE_STATE_XXX Constants.)
  2. After the Sound window appears, select Playback or Recording. Next, select an entry in the list of device names, and click Properties.
  3. After the Properties window appears, click Advanced.
  4. To enable applications to use the device in exclusive mode, check the box labeled Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
  5. If exclusive-mode use of the device is enabled, you can specify whether a request for exclusive control of the device will succeed if the device is currently playing or recording shared-mode streams. To give exclusive-mode applications priority over shared-mode applications, check the box labeled Give exclusive mode applications priority. To deny exclusive-mode applications priority over shared-mode applications, clear the check box.

Also you may access the link below and follow the steps to fix some of the common sound issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems 

Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 31, 2020 Views 7,523 Applies to: