windows 7 media player no sound.....volume meter shows vu from media player and youtube etc sound good

am using the realtek audio driver on the gigabyte motherboard......speakers and connections test ok and none of the available menu items are set to digital.....vlc won't play audio either but all youtube audio is great...perhaps wothy of note is that there are no startup sounds or mouse click sounds etc either

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Pierre,

A problem that has been occurring a lot lately. Try the instructions in this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-7&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Give that a try and let me know if this helps you out.

Regards,

BearPup

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks for the reply....been pulling my hair out....tried the link you suggested already....all settings in wmp and the motherboard audio driver has been deleted and reinstalled....usb driver updated as I'm trying to play from a usb external hard drive music collection.....same same problem viewing downloaded movies in wmp or vlc....video fine....no audio but the volume icon in the tray shows VU.....load the content onto a usb memory stick and audio is fine on xbox but not on pc from stick....have googled the **** out of this issue.....lol....leaning towards a wmp versus win 7 koogle but can't find any real solutions out there

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Pierre,

Given that its the Realtek that may be at issue, what video driver / connection are you using? I know its an audio issue, but video and audio are often linked. And given the work you've done, I presume you've already checked in Device Manager, Video, sound and game controllers tab, and there are no yellow triangles with exclamation point on them, correct?

The other point to keep in mind is that instead of uninstalling your audio drivers, you are better off "disabling" the driver / device in question (if you uninstall the driver, it'll reload itself on next boot-up).

Let me know about the video driver(s) and if there are any yellow triangles (also check your USB drives for them). If you find any, right-click on them and select properties, report any information here. One last question:  you say You Tube comes through fine...can you trace which driver is playing that audio stream, and if so, can you redirect your USB audio through the You Tube stream?

If you could answer these questions, I may yet be able to assist you.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

....yes....have wandered fruitlessly thru all the tabs you mentioned and no apparent issues....i'll trace the utube stream....that makes so much sense.....as it stands now....internet->direct to realtek->speakers...all good    downloaded or usb input->realtek->.speakers?....no go, but VU shows active audio....will check to see if I can trace the audio from internet source and report....nice approach that one....lol

Sorry this didn't help.

don't want to be spoonfed but have had no google luck trying to find method to trace driver running audio that works....any suggestion how I should phrase the question?.....cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Pierre,

I'd do it in stages. Driver trace; audio out you tube; audio input speakers. Its probably too big a question to ask in one phrase. Just a thought.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Pierre,

Well I don't blame you for feeling lost, its certainly above my level - its designed for use by Field Engineers, and I'm not one of those!

But it does trip a memory. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and when you open that look for the Event Viewer. That will have a list of all warning and error messages generated by the system. What I would do is 'create' an event as follows:

1) "clear" your system out by doing a few tasks that you know work flawlessly. Print a couple of pages of graphics, and let your system sit idle for a minute. Print more graphics, sit idle.

2) Then watch a video in You Tube, something short is fine, but something you know plays through OK. Then let the system sit idle, repeat the video, let the system sit idle.

3) Then find and watch a video that you know doesn't play audio, but the video plays fine. Then let the system sit idle, repeat the video, let the system sit idle.

4) Then go into Event Viewer and see what you have for warning and error events covered in the Viewer log.

See what you learn and post back here with the results.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

no critical or errors occurred

got to thinking.....window7 pro new loaded onto hard drive that had xp on it......in windows old (in c drive) is all the files from xp

could there be a conflict with wmp from windows old?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Is this issue confined to a specific video/audio file?

Refer this article to know the information of the files that Windows Media Player supports.

Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

To know more about Codec visit the following link:

Codecs: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions

You can search from your favorite engine and download and install the codec which is compatible with the Operating system.

Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Hope this information helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2019 Views 840 Applies to: