Why does my Windows 7 crash/freeze when playing ANY video

lets see can anyone get their head around this one as it is driving me round the bend. 

So... I have a media centre PC connected to my HDTV by VGA cable. I ran the PC on XP for a long time but last December, I upgraded it to Windows 7 along with my laptop. 

Cue 5 months of seamless media usage and network integration - it worked like a dream and I played both HD and SD content with ease. 

About two weeks ago, I was watching an HD '.mkv' file in Windows Media Centre and about 10 minutes into the video, the video file just Froze - both the video and the audio. I had to power down and restart the machine and started the video file again. About 5 minutes after re-starting the video file, it hung again (not at the same place in the video). I then went and watched the video on my laptop where it worked fine. 

A few days after this (first time I had used it again since it hung up) I began watching an SD '.avi' file. About 1 minute into the video the display lost it's signal (the little built in 'no signal' graphic came up) and after a further 15 seconds, the audio cut out as well. 

This latter behaviour is now happening every single time I try to watch any kind of SD or HD video of any file extention. This problem is also independant of what video player I use (windows media centre and windows media player classic) After a minute or so the display cuts out and the audio quickly follows it. 

Suffice to say, I was a little annoyed but knowing a good bit about computers I decided to try and solve the problem taking the following steps. 

1) I uninstalled all my codecs and reinstalled the latest version of the K-Lite Codec pack. The latest version has support for windows 7 so I doubt its a compatibility issue here. After doing this the problem still persisted, exactly the same as before. 

2) I checked the date of the drivers for my video card (MSI nVidia 6200) and seen that they were dated sept 2009. I went onto the nVidia site and found the latest win7 drivers dated april 2010 - I installed these but still the problem is there. 

3) I then thought, maybe its a problem with the actual video card hardware itself. When I built my machine the parts supplier accidentally sent me two of the same video card so I swapped out the existing one for a brand spanking new version of the same card. The problem is still EXACTLY the same. 

So yes -I am rather annoyed and frustrated at the moment as I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with the machine and how it went from working to not working almost overnight. 

I'd like to add also that the display is perfect when doing anything else on the computer - I can surf, play youtube videos, listen to music etc and it is absolutely no problem. 

Put on a video and it cuts out the display like I have explained. 

WHY????

halp.

Question Info

Last updated October 7, 2018 Views 42,100 Applies to:
Answer
Hi,

Method 1.
Alter the Hardware Acceleration
You can also try changing the hardware acceperation to medium and verify (You can try different)
1. Right click on empty space on desktop.
2. Go to Screen Resolution.
3. Then click on Advanced settings and click on the tab "Troubleshoot".
4. Set the hardware acceleration to medium. (here you will get the option only if your Video card support its).

Method 2.
Uninstall the video card drivers and restart the computer and let windows install the generic drivers and then chekc if the HD videos play fine.
For more information refer to the links below:
Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly
Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-your-hardware

Method 3.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center:
Step 1.
Uninstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Media Features and uncheck the mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the computer

Step 2.
Reinstalling the Windows Media Player:
1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Media Features and place a check mark in front of Windows Media Player.
4. Restart the Computer.

Note: Repeat the steps for Windows Media Center.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.