Why does my audio keeps getting our of sync with my video?

Every couple hours to days, my audio gets out of sync with the video.  The only thing I can possibly think of that changed on my system was installing uTorrent.  I can't think of any reason why that would cause audio/video sync issues especially when most of the time I don't even have any files transferring.  The only way I can fix it is to restart the PC and within a couple hours to a couple days, it gets out of sync again.  This effects everything I do from watching movies (streaming, DVD playback, digital video playback) to playing video games...  Any ideas?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Nicolai,

-      Which media player you are using to play audio / video files?

-      Are you facing the issues with Windows Media Player?

-       What kind of media files with file extensions are you trying to play?

This also could be a problem with the speakers. So, try connecting a headphones set or another speakers and check if that is working fine with these speakers.

Method 1: Uninstall the Audio drivers on the computer completely and re-install it by downloading it from the manufacturer’s website.

a)      Click Start and then click Control Panel.

b)     Click System and Maintenance, click System, and then click Device Manager.
Note If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-click System, and then click Device Manager.

c)      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

d)     In Device Manager, expand "Sound Video and Game controllers", right-click the "Sound Video and Game controllers" and click on UNINSTALL.

This will completely uninstall the sound drivers on the computer. Now, we need to install the latest sound drivers on it. If you have a drivers disk with you that has the sound drivers, you can install it from that. Otherwise, go to the manufacturer’s website and download the right and latest drivers for your sound card and install it.

Method 2: Go through the below article and run the FixIt tool.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Hope this information helps.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue happens with ALL my media players and web browsers:
Divx Pro, VLC, WMP, IE, Chrome

It also happens with ALL my video games (too many to name).   It happens with EVERYTHING I own that makes any sort of sound at all...

I have all brand new hardware:

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 3960X 3.3Ghz (12 cores)
16GB RAM - GSkill Sniper DDR3-2133
Kingston 128gb SSD SATA Drive
MSI GTX560-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GB DDR5
Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I'm using the on-board HD audio from Realtek and have all the latest drivers installed.  This system was just built 2 months ago and didn't start having audio sync issues until AROUND the time I installed uTorrent....

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Perform the steps mentioned below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

You may also scan your computer from Microsoft Safety Scanner, which would help us to get rid of viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2:

I would recommend you to place the computer in clean boot and then check if the issue persists or not.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

If the issue doesn’t persists when the Computer is in clean boot, then the issue is confirmed to be caused by a certain non-Microsoft applications.

Method 3:
Uninstall and reinstall uTorrent and check if that helps:

Uninstall or change a program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Uninstall-or-change-a-program

Hope this helps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1718?viewlocale=en_US

Click on the above link for Itunes issues. I found it helpful for a valued customer of MS

Raman
MSSUPP - *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Darned if your description of your audio sync problem on a Windows 7 system doesn't EXACTLY match my problem on a brand new Dell XPS 8700 system running Windows 8.1. Right down to and including recently installing μtorrent.

I tried everything suggested by others to help you and nothing has worked. (I have completely removed μtorrent and replaced it with qBtorrent ... can't tell if that helped yet because I'm not sure enough time has elapsed yet to be sure I'm staying in sync).

Since the problem is cleared, for awhile, by doing a restart, I'm logging which services are running while there is no sync problem. When I go out of sync again, I'm sure I will, I'll check which services have changed status. Maybe this will help isolate the problem or, at least, give us a less painful way of getting, temporarily, back in sync than having to wait 2 to 5 minutes on a Windows restart.

I am sending this message to let you know this problem isn't unique to you nor to Windows 7. Also, until I go out of sync again I don't know that eliminating μtorrent didn't fix the problem.

In a day or 2 I'll try to let you know how I made out resolving this problem.

I believe I'm safe in saying, for both of us, that any help from anybody to fix this annoying problem will be

greatly appreciated.

Tom Ackley

Thomas Ackley

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tom Ackley here,

I'm back. I've gone out of sync again. Getting rid of μtorrent didn't fix the problem.

The services comparison I mentioned doing revealed the following:

Services that stopped running after the failure:

Microsoft Storage Spaces SMP

Windows Search

Windows Update

Services that started running that weren't before the failure:

Group Policy Client

Multimedia Class scheduler

NVIDIA Display Driver Service

Program Compatibility Assistant Service

Windows Connect Now - Config Registrar

Just off the bat, the only service that sets off bells for me is the NVIDIA Display Driver Service. It's funny that this should start running after the failure and not before as I'm using the NVIDIA card via an HDMI interface to send audio and video to my Sharp HDTV.

Well, guess I'm back to collecting data and searching the internet for solutions as I can't afford $100.00/hr to get Microsoft service people involved. It's a bit disheartening in that you asked this question over 2 years ago and I don't see that you ever got a satisfactory solution either.

Oh well, anybody having any constructive suggestions based upon the new info I've presented ... I'd be very pleased to hear them.

Thanks all,

Tom Ackley

Thomas Ackley

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I never got it fixed and now have this issue with Windows 8.1 and the latest VLC Player and latest Nvidia drivers.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nicolai,

I think it's outrageous that you've had this problem for so long. One would think Microsoft's techies would be embarressed that they couldn't help you (whether due to lack of ability or lack of incentive ... it still, to my way of thinking, puts quite a blot on their escutcheon).

I intend to give a serious amount of effort to solving this problem. If I am able to get this fixed I intend to post the resolution for you and anyone else who might gain from it.

Just this morning I tried a refined form of the "check for significant changes in the running services" approach... no joy.

This last event of going out of sync was unique to my experience. I verified that I had sync immediately before turning in for bed last night. When I arose for this morning, my first interaction with my PC was to check the sunc, it was out of sync. That means nothing was run on the machine except scheduled maintenance software as well as qBittorrent for a period of about 8 hours and my system went from sync'd to out of sync.

I'll look into this.

If you find a solution that works for you, please post it as it may help me too.

Thank you,

Tom Ackley

Thomas Ackley

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tom Ackley again,

Last thing last night audio and video were in sync. 1'st thing this morning they were significantly

, 0.5 sec to 1 sec, out of sync.

This verifies that all that's required is time, with background apps and processes, active for audio sync loss.

Tonight I will disable my backqround programs (the ones I have intentionally setup to run automatically) and sestart the computer in "Safe mode" to see if the loss of sync still occurs after several hours of PC on time elapse.

Again, any help from any source will be appreciated.

Tom Ackley

Thomas Ackley

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nicolai,

Tom Ackley here.

I though you said you've had this problem with both Windows 7 and 8. I assume it's with the same PC... is that correct?

Could you tell me which audio port you are using? I'm currently using an HDMI port. when I used my VGA por, which used a different audio driver,  I didn't notice this problem (however, my VGA video quality was not as good as with the HDMI so I switched within a day). With the HDMI I'm using an NVIDIA video card and the associated NVIDIA High Def audio driver.

I have, but don't use, a Realtek High Def audio driver. I have currently disabled the Realtek so it can't complicate things. Later, I'll try using the Realtek audio if I haven't gotten a resolution to this problem before then.

Any info, that you believe pertainent to this problem, that you can share will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tom Ackley

Thomas Ackley

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2023 Views 9,970 Applies to: