Where do pictures go when downloaded from camera using Windows 7 automatic download?

Today I downloaded over 1300 pictures from a friends camera with her consent.  It is a Canon camera and I have 2 Canon cameras myself and hoped it would automatically use one of the 2 Canon software programs loaded on my computer loaded with Windows 7.  Immediately when I plugged it in the Windows download started in the lower right side of my monitor.  I decided to just let it go ahead and do it, figuring I would find them later.  I was never asked where I wanted to put them and, after much searching, cannot find where they went.  The download took around 20 minutes.  Sure was a good thing I did not check the box at the bottom allowing me to delete the pictures as they were downloaded!

Can someone give me a clue how the system works with regard to these downloads?

Thanks,

Bessie

|

​Hi,

1. Did you make any changes on the computer prior to the issue?
2. What is the file format of the picture?

Method 1:
Check the downloaded pictures in pictures folder Location: - C:\users\”your user name”\pictures

Method 2:
Let’s check for the downloaded files in the download folder.
Follow the steps mentioned below.
a) Click on start button.
b) In the start search box, type “downloads” and click on the download folder in the list.
c) Please check if you are able to find the downloaded files.

Method 3:
I would suggest you to refer to the below mentioned links for assistance –
How do I get pictures from my camera to my computer-
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-get-pictures-from-my-camera-to-my-computer

Reference links:
Managing your pictures-
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Managing-your-pictures

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/find-what-you-are-looking-for-staying-organized-in-windows-7

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried your first suggestions before I asked for help with no success.  I have now reviewed your suggested links but they proved to be of no use to me.  The download of pictures started immediately when I attached the camera to the USB cable and turned the camera on.  I was asked no questions I can recall - if there were any they flew by so rapidly I could not see them to answer.  As I said in my initial request for assistance, I sat here and watched the pictures download - it went pretty fast but could see a tiny preview of each picture as it was downloaded but no options were given to me except that little box for me to check if I wanted them erased from the card during download.  I did not check that, thankfully.  It took around 15 or 20 minutes for the little over 1300 pictures to download.  I still can't find them.

I guess what I actually need to know now is how to keep this from happening in the future.  If they download they must go somewhere!  I am wondering where.  My son-in-law is much younger than I am and his laptop loaded with Windows 7 does the same thing but my daughter then takes the camera to her computer - a Mac - and downloads them using the Canon software that came with the camera.  She has no idea where those pictures went, either!  Could it be a Hewlet Packard issue?  His laptop is a HP as is my All-In-One desktop.

Bessie

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only automatic download would be to the cameras software,

Otherwise you would have needed to open and Import with a photo editing/ viewer program.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the input.  I don't know that I have any photo editing/viewer program other than my Canon camera software on this computer.  My daughter came over this evening with her Nikon camera, used my Canon software, and selected some photos of her own to download.  No other software 'popped up' possibly because she opened the Canon software first.  She was real sure I had not looked in the right places for that download I did yesterday - she searched without success, too.

At this time I am seriously considering returning this computer to Costco - my 90 days will be up soon and need to make up my mind quickly.  Possibly if I get another Dell XPS desktop (8500) I will be happier. 

I do appreciate the posts here trying to help and think my questions have been answered as fully as possible.  Those photos are gone and I will not consider it a big deal anymore!

Bessie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can check your autoplay settings,

Click the start button and type autoplay,

Hit enter or the suggestion on the top,

Devices like cameras are listed on the very bottom,

See what is listed.

If they were downloaded windows would have made a folder with the date that windows imported.

Mcafee/Norton/IOBit security should not be Installed on a functioning computer=FreeAdvice

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks! I was having exactly the same issue (with a Dell laptop and Windows 10). So I tried Start+ typing in Autoplay settings and corrected the automatic destination to "open files in explorer". I was then able to manually copy-paste the new photos from my memory card into a folder I created within my "Pictures" file: A bit unwieldy, but it worked--I found all my lost photos! 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I down loaded from aa usb driver but cant find pivturres

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2021 Views 17,011 Applies to: