Volume Leveling in Windows Media Player 12 Does Not Appear to Work

It appears that some tracks do not get volume levelling applied at all. Some tracks are much louder than the majority and others are much softer, so it is difficult to determine whether it is having any effect. I am constantly having to adjust the volume manually.

All of my audio files are mp3. The bit rates can vary from one file to the next, but I can't imagine that would be the cause. 

I believe I have seen this issue in all versions of WMP since 10. It used to work fine in 9.

Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated January 10, 2019 Views 27,644 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Cpcbrent,
Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

If your songs play at different volume levels, you can have the Player level out (also called normalize) the volume for you so that you don't have to manually adjust the volume when a new song starts.

Windows media player can be used for playing audio, video and viewing images on personal computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as on Pocket PC and Windows Mobile-based devices. It is able to to rip music from and copy music to compact discs, build Audio CDs in recordable discs and synchronize content with a digital audio player (MP3 player) or other mobile devices, and enables users to purchase or rent music from a number of online music stores.

Method 1:Follow these steps to change volume differences between songs in windows media player 12.
Step 1: Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Media Player.

Step 2: In Now Playing mode, right-click an open space in the Player

Tips: If the Player is currently open and you are in Library mode, click the View, then choose Now playing to switch it to the Now playing mode.

Step 3: Point to Enhancements, and then click Crossfading and auto volume leveling.

Step 4: Click the Turn on Auto Volume Leveling link.

To add the volume-leveling value to a file, play the entire file with auto-leveling turned on. The Player will then level the volume for that file whenever you play it in the future.

To hide the settings, click the Close button in the Crossfading and auto volume leveling dialog box.

Method 2: If this method does not help, uninstall and re-install the audio drivers.

Follow these steps to manually uninstall and reinstall the audio driver:

1.  Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click System and Maintenance, and then click Device Manager. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2.  Right-click the audio driver, and then click Properties.
3.  Click the Driver tab, click Uninstall, and then click OK.
4.  In the Device Manager dialog box, click the Action menu, and then click Scan for hardware changes.

If you see a message saying that Windows has to install driver software for your unknown device, click Locate and install driver software (recommended).

If the device driver is installed and working properly, you have resolved the problem. If the device is installed but isn't working properly, go to "Use Windows Update to find a device driver."

Restart you computer and Windows 7 will automatically detect the drivers and install.

If this does not help, download and install the latest updated audio drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.